Apr 25, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
The Flyers were able to force a Game 7 yesterday after an overtime win against Buffalo but the game didn’t come without incident. The Sabres lost the services of center Tim Connolly after he was shoved from behind by Flyers captain Mike Richards into the boards during the second period.
Connolly’s head hit off the boards and he was visibly dazed as he was headed off the ice. He didn’t return to the game while Richards was given a minor penalty for boarding. Making things more awkward is Connolly’s history of concussion problems.It’s assumed that he’ll miss Game 7.
“If Mike Richards thinks we’re getting away with murder, I don’t know what he just got away with,” Sabres goalie Ryan Miller said. “Mass murder? Are we stepping it up a notch? Unbelievable. We lose a player for the rest of the game. That’s the kind of hit the league has been talking about that’s dangerous. They better seriously consider looking at that one. It’s unbelievable.”
As it turns out, Richards will be avoiding any punishment from the league for the play and will be ready to go in Game 7.
If you missed the hit, check it out in our video.
Should Richards have been suspended? We thought it was worthy of the league’s attention but many others felt it wasn’t. What do you think? Let us know in our poll and in the comments.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)