Apr 25, 2011, 2:16 PM EST
The Flyers were able to force a Game 7 yesterday after an overtime win against Buffalo but the game didn’t come without incident. The Sabres lost the services of center Tim Connolly after he was shoved from behind by Flyers captain Mike Richards into the boards during the second period.
Connolly’s head hit off the boards and he was visibly dazed as he was headed off the ice. He didn’t return to the game while Richards was given a minor penalty for boarding. Making things more awkward is Connolly’s history of concussion problems.It’s assumed that he’ll miss Game 7.
“If Mike Richards thinks we’re getting away with murder, I don’t know what he just got away with,” Sabres goalie Ryan Miller said. “Mass murder? Are we stepping it up a notch? Unbelievable. We lose a player for the rest of the game. That’s the kind of hit the league has been talking about that’s dangerous. They better seriously consider looking at that one. It’s unbelievable.”
As it turns out, Richards will be avoiding any punishment from the league for the play and will be ready to go in Game 7.
If you missed the hit, check it out in our video.
Should Richards have been suspended? We thought it was worthy of the league’s attention but many others felt it wasn’t. What do you think? Let us know in our poll and in the comments.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)