Apr 25, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
The Flyers were able to force a Game 7 yesterday after an overtime win against Buffalo but the game didn’t come without incident. The Sabres lost the services of center Tim Connolly after he was shoved from behind by Flyers captain Mike Richards into the boards during the second period.
Connolly’s head hit off the boards and he was visibly dazed as he was headed off the ice. He didn’t return to the game while Richards was given a minor penalty for boarding. Making things more awkward is Connolly’s history of concussion problems.It’s assumed that he’ll miss Game 7.
“If Mike Richards thinks we’re getting away with murder, I don’t know what he just got away with,” Sabres goalie Ryan Miller said. “Mass murder? Are we stepping it up a notch? Unbelievable. We lose a player for the rest of the game. That’s the kind of hit the league has been talking about that’s dangerous. They better seriously consider looking at that one. It’s unbelievable.”
As it turns out, Richards will be avoiding any punishment from the league for the play and will be ready to go in Game 7.
If you missed the hit, check it out in our video.
Should Richards have been suspended? We thought it was worthy of the league’s attention but many others felt it wasn’t. What do you think? Let us know in our poll and in the comments.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5