Apr 25, 2011, 2:16 PM EDT
The Flyers were able to force a Game 7 yesterday after an overtime win against Buffalo but the game didn’t come without incident. The Sabres lost the services of center Tim Connolly after he was shoved from behind by Flyers captain Mike Richards into the boards during the second period.
Connolly’s head hit off the boards and he was visibly dazed as he was headed off the ice. He didn’t return to the game while Richards was given a minor penalty for boarding. Making things more awkward is Connolly’s history of concussion problems.It’s assumed that he’ll miss Game 7.
“If Mike Richards thinks we’re getting away with murder, I don’t know what he just got away with,” Sabres goalie Ryan Miller said. “Mass murder? Are we stepping it up a notch? Unbelievable. We lose a player for the rest of the game. That’s the kind of hit the league has been talking about that’s dangerous. They better seriously consider looking at that one. It’s unbelievable.”
As it turns out, Richards will be avoiding any punishment from the league for the play and will be ready to go in Game 7.
If you missed the hit, check it out in our video.
Should Richards have been suspended? We thought it was worthy of the league’s attention but many others felt it wasn’t. What do you think? Let us know in our poll and in the comments.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)