Apr 24, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
When you need to change your luck in the NHL sometimes you’ll change your sticks or a piece of your gear or shuffle the lines. Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault is doing something a bit more drastic in tonight’s Game 6 by starting backup goalie Cory Schneider instead of Roberto Luongo.
The move comes on the heels of two consecutive blowouts with Luongo being the victim for six goals against in 44 minutes of play in Game 4 and four goals against on 12 shots in Game 5. Schneider relieved Luongo in both games and allowed one goal in each game as the Canucks were blown out in Game 4 8-2 and 5-0 in Game 5.
The message here is clear from Vigneault in that he needs to let Luongo breathe a bit after being victimized so badly in the last two games. The risk that he runs by making this move in the middle of the series and at the start of the playoffs is that if Vancouver wins and moves on to the second round, there will no doubt be a huge goalie controversy heading into the second round.
If Vancouver loses and the series goes to a seventh game, then you’re left wondering just who is going to get the call to start in Game 7. Do they go with Vezina Trophy finalist Luongo who apparently needed a break after being lit up in back to back games, or do they opt for Schneider who they felt was good enough to sit down the five time All-Star goalie to get them back on the winning side of things in Game 6? It sets up for a fascinating debate either way things work out and puts Vigneault in a very tough spot from here on forward.
It also makes you wonder just how badly the Blackhawks have gotten into Luongo’s head. After looking stellar in a shutout in Game 1, the Blackhawks kept whittling away at him and finding ways to score goals the rest of the way through the series. If it’s a case where Luongo is mentally exhausted in dealing with Chicago in the playoffs, that makes us wonder just how potential future opponents in the playoffs are going to treat him. Chances are they’ll be watching a lot of tape to see what it is Chicago does to make him so batty.
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63