Apr 24, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT
Even when the Philadelphia Flyers were down 2-0 and 3-1 in the first period, there was a weird feeling that it wouldn’t be that easy for the Buffalo Sabres.
After all, it’s never really easy when it comes to the Flyers in the playoffs. This team might not always get from Point A to Point B in the most elegant way, but they tend to produce their best work when they need it the most. That’s the best way to explain their shaggy, bizarre journey to this overtime period.
Buffalo 4, Philadelphia 4 (third intermission); Sabres lead series 3-2
After two outrageous periods, the teams slowed down a bit on the scoreboard even if the pace barely dropped a notch. The defense wasn’t always pretty, but it was a lot of fun to watch.
Scott Hartnell scored the only goal of the third period, although Mike Richards ended up making it happen. It’s a tough-to-stomach moment for those who thought Richards should have been booted out of the game for boarding Tim Connolly. Connolly probably won’t return to the game, although that hasn’t been officially confirmed.
Both teams are working hard – even if they’re not always “working smart” – but it all comes down to overtime now. If the Sabres score, they’ll move on to a second round match against the first seeded Washington Capitals. If the Flyers manage to complete their unlikely comeback, they’ll force a Game 7 in Philadelphia. It should be fun (and nerve-wracking) to watch.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks