Apr 24, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
When people saw the headline “John Tortorella looks to future after Rangers first round defeat,” they instantly latched onto jokes about the fiery coach finding employment elsewhere. That wasn’t really the intention of the headline, but it was admittedly an amusing reaction.
If a Larry Brooks report is correct, then those amusing reactions were notably off-base. The New York Post writer passes along word that the New York Rangers signed Tortorella to a three-year contract extension “a couple months ago.”
His contract was set to expire at the end of this season, so that contract extension would reportedly run through the 2013-14 season. Of course, following the nature of the coaching profession, he might get paid for those seasons but a sudden firing is always a threat.
Again, it’s important to note that this is a report, but if true, it justifies all of his forward-thinking comments. It’s a solid choice if you ask me, as the Rangers were significantly lacking in talent but still managed to make the playoffs this season. Sure, it wasn’t a perfect playoff series, but the team seems to be in pretty good hands with Torts. Now it’s a matter of building on that foundation of hard work with young players who can cause much more damage.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)