Apr 24, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
When people saw the headline “John Tortorella looks to future after Rangers first round defeat,” they instantly latched onto jokes about the fiery coach finding employment elsewhere. That wasn’t really the intention of the headline, but it was admittedly an amusing reaction.
If a Larry Brooks report is correct, then those amusing reactions were notably off-base. The New York Post writer passes along word that the New York Rangers signed Tortorella to a three-year contract extension “a couple months ago.”
His contract was set to expire at the end of this season, so that contract extension would reportedly run through the 2013-14 season. Of course, following the nature of the coaching profession, he might get paid for those seasons but a sudden firing is always a threat.
Again, it’s important to note that this is a report, but if true, it justifies all of his forward-thinking comments. It’s a solid choice if you ask me, as the Rangers were significantly lacking in talent but still managed to make the playoffs this season. Sure, it wasn’t a perfect playoff series, but the team seems to be in pretty good hands with Torts. Now it’s a matter of building on that foundation of hard work with young players who can cause much more damage.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 0
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)