Apr 24, 2011, 5:29 PM EST
Buffalo Sabres fans serenaded Brian Boucher with chants of “Booouuuu-cheeeer” during many times in the second period, but the Philadelphia Flyers managed to get back into the game thanks in part to the veteran’s slightly more stable netminding.
Sure, the one Nathan Gerbe goal Boucher did allow was pretty brutal, but he played much better than Michael Leighton did in that ugly first period. Boucher stopped 17 out of 18 shots in the second period, giving Philly some hope of coming back in a crucial Game 6.
Buffalo 4, Philadelphia 3; Sabres lead series 3-2
James van Riemsdyk continued his breakout playoff run with his third goal of the series just 49 seconds into the second. That 3-2 goal silenced the Buffalo crowd a bit and Danny Briere continued to torment his former team with a power-play goal. Briere scored his second goal of the game and fifth of the series to make it 3-3.
Things were looking good for the Flyers, but they continue to self-destruct. Mike Richards delivered the latest questionable hit of the playoffs when he pushed Tim Connolly‘s head into the boards with a hit from behind. He received a two-minute boarding penalty but probably deserved a five-minute major on the play, especially considering his checkered past of hits and Connolly’s own history of head injuries. You can bet that Richards will get suspension attention, although it might be a moot point if the Flyers get booted from the playoffs.
Either way, it’s getting tougher and tougher to ignore Richards’ long line of questionable hits, even if he somehow is without a suspension on his record. The Flyers actually survived the 5-on-3 that resulted from that penalty to Richards plus one to Kris Versteeg, but Gerbe scored the go-head goal shortly after that successful kill.
It’s been a wide open game, so don’t be surprised if there’s more drama in the third period. Philadelphia certainly hopes so, because if it evens up being a score-less final 20 minutes, their season is over.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)