Apr 24, 2011, 5:29 PM EDT
Buffalo Sabres fans serenaded Brian Boucher with chants of “Booouuuu-cheeeer” during many times in the second period, but the Philadelphia Flyers managed to get back into the game thanks in part to the veteran’s slightly more stable netminding.
Sure, the one Nathan Gerbe goal Boucher did allow was pretty brutal, but he played much better than Michael Leighton did in that ugly first period. Boucher stopped 17 out of 18 shots in the second period, giving Philly some hope of coming back in a crucial Game 6.
Buffalo 4, Philadelphia 3; Sabres lead series 3-2
James van Riemsdyk continued his breakout playoff run with his third goal of the series just 49 seconds into the second. That 3-2 goal silenced the Buffalo crowd a bit and Danny Briere continued to torment his former team with a power-play goal. Briere scored his second goal of the game and fifth of the series to make it 3-3.
Things were looking good for the Flyers, but they continue to self-destruct. Mike Richards delivered the latest questionable hit of the playoffs when he pushed Tim Connolly‘s head into the boards with a hit from behind. He received a two-minute boarding penalty but probably deserved a five-minute major on the play, especially considering his checkered past of hits and Connolly’s own history of head injuries. You can bet that Richards will get suspension attention, although it might be a moot point if the Flyers get booted from the playoffs.
Either way, it’s getting tougher and tougher to ignore Richards’ long line of questionable hits, even if he somehow is without a suspension on his record. The Flyers actually survived the 5-on-3 that resulted from that penalty to Richards plus one to Kris Versteeg, but Gerbe scored the go-head goal shortly after that successful kill.
It’s been a wide open game, so don’t be surprised if there’s more drama in the third period. Philadelphia certainly hopes so, because if it evens up being a score-less final 20 minutes, their season is over.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)