Apr 23, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
(For a full recap of the Washington Capitals’ 3-1 win over the New York Rangers – a win that makes Washington the first Eastern Conference team to make the second round – click here. Consult this video for footage of Mike Green‘s scary injury and check out this post for Alex Ovechkin‘s outstanding game-winner.)
The Capitals’ profound transformation from a wide-open offense-first system to a team that focuses on all areas 0f the ice qualifies as one of the big stories of the playoffs. People give a lot of credit to head coach Bruce Boudreau’s changes, Alex Ovechkin’s willingness to sacrifice his own stats and the team’s trio of talented young goalies.
Yet one underrated facet of the turnaround is the work of a duo Pierre McGuire calls the best young pair in hockey: John Carlson and Karl Alzner. The two blueliners seem like they’re carrying their AHL success over to the NHL level, even if they aren’t getting the spotlight. (Then again, the spotlight is sometimes a bad thing for defensemen.)
McGuire interviews Alzner and Carlson in the video below.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 2
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 89
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 37
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL