Apr 23, 2011, 4:37 PM EST
Capitals defenseman Mike Green came back in the playoffs after missing more than 20 games with a concussion suffered after being struck in the head by a shot. This afternoon during today’s Game 5 Green scored the game’s first goal but saw fate turn cruel later in the first period.
Green laid out to block a shot by Matt Gilroy and Gilroy’s slight hesitation put Green directly in line with the puck. Gilroy’s shot skidded off the ice and bounced right up off of Green’s head. In the process, a pair of screws came flying out of Green’s helmet from the force of the shot.
Green left the game feeling woozy and is listed as “questionable” for return by the Capitals. For now, marvel at the force of the shot that he laid out in front of to try and prevent the Rangers from scoring. If you needed more evidence as to why hockey players are tougher than everyone, this is it.
- Flames place Giordano on IR 0
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 25
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 59
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (95)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)