Apr 23, 2011, 4:37 PM EDT
Capitals defenseman Mike Green came back in the playoffs after missing more than 20 games with a concussion suffered after being struck in the head by a shot. This afternoon during today’s Game 5 Green scored the game’s first goal but saw fate turn cruel later in the first period.
Green laid out to block a shot by Matt Gilroy and Gilroy’s slight hesitation put Green directly in line with the puck. Gilroy’s shot skidded off the ice and bounced right up off of Green’s head. In the process, a pair of screws came flying out of Green’s helmet from the force of the shot.
Green left the game feeling woozy and is listed as “questionable” for return by the Capitals. For now, marvel at the force of the shot that he laid out in front of to try and prevent the Rangers from scoring. If you needed more evidence as to why hockey players are tougher than everyone, this is it.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)