Apr 23, 2011, 4:37 PM EST
Capitals defenseman Mike Green came back in the playoffs after missing more than 20 games with a concussion suffered after being struck in the head by a shot. This afternoon during today’s Game 5 Green scored the game’s first goal but saw fate turn cruel later in the first period.
Green laid out to block a shot by Matt Gilroy and Gilroy’s slight hesitation put Green directly in line with the puck. Gilroy’s shot skidded off the ice and bounced right up off of Green’s head. In the process, a pair of screws came flying out of Green’s helmet from the force of the shot.
Green left the game feeling woozy and is listed as “questionable” for return by the Capitals. For now, marvel at the force of the shot that he laid out in front of to try and prevent the Rangers from scoring. If you needed more evidence as to why hockey players are tougher than everyone, this is it.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)