Apr 23, 2011, 9:14 PM EDT
(For a full recap of the Washington Capitals’ 3-1 win over the New York Rangers – a win that makes Washington the first Eastern Conference team to make the second round – click here. Consult this video for footage of Mike Green‘s scary injury and check out this post for Alex Ovechkin‘s outstanding game-winner. Want to see all the goals? This post has all four plus Net Cam highlights.)
Rangers fans are mourning their team’s final meaningful hockey game until October and the 2010-11 season rolls around. Meanwhile, hockey media members might be a bit sad themselves, but it won’t be for the lack of the Blueshirts as a whole. Instead, they’ll miss the occasionally uproarious commentary of head coach John Tortorella.
The outspoken coach was pretty even keeled in his post-game preference today, though. Torts correctly points out that the team could have a bright future considering their improving young players at the NHL level (with prime players such as Marc Staal and newbies like Derek Stepan) as well as promising prospects such as Chris Kreider. Sure, he discussed missed opportunities in this series, but the implication is clear: they might be better equipped to make good on them in the future.
Whether the Rangers go after a big free agent like Brad Richards or not, the team’s growth will still depend upon Tortorella’s teaching skills and their development process. Watch him discuss that future in the press conference video below.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)