Apr 23, 2011, 9:14 PM EST
(For a full recap of the Washington Capitals’ 3-1 win over the New York Rangers – a win that makes Washington the first Eastern Conference team to make the second round – click here. Consult this video for footage of Mike Green‘s scary injury and check out this post for Alex Ovechkin‘s outstanding game-winner. Want to see all the goals? This post has all four plus Net Cam highlights.)
Rangers fans are mourning their team’s final meaningful hockey game until October and the 2010-11 season rolls around. Meanwhile, hockey media members might be a bit sad themselves, but it won’t be for the lack of the Blueshirts as a whole. Instead, they’ll miss the occasionally uproarious commentary of head coach John Tortorella.
The outspoken coach was pretty even keeled in his post-game preference today, though. Torts correctly points out that the team could have a bright future considering their improving young players at the NHL level (with prime players such as Marc Staal and newbies like Derek Stepan) as well as promising prospects such as Chris Kreider. Sure, he discussed missed opportunities in this series, but the implication is clear: they might be better equipped to make good on them in the future.
Whether the Rangers go after a big free agent like Brad Richards or not, the team’s growth will still depend upon Tortorella’s teaching skills and their development process. Watch him discuss that future in the press conference video below.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)