Apr 23, 2011, 7:52 PM EST
(For a full recap of the Washington Capitals’ 3-1 win over the New York Rangers – a win that makes Washington the first Eastern Conference team to make the second round – click here. Consult this video for footage of Mike Green‘s scary injury and check out this post for Alex Ovechkin‘s outstanding game-winner.)
If you want a quick-and-dirty explanation of Game 5, here it is: the Capitals carried the Game 4 comeback momentum into this contest while the Rangers seemed detached because of their loss.
That momentum can’t explain it all away, though, as Washington was ultimately too much for New York to handle. Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin scored for the Capitals while Wojtek Woslki spoiled Michal Neuvirth‘s shutout.
This post includes video footage of every goal in the first clip plus Net Cam highlights from Neuvirth and his goalie counterpart, Henrik Lundqvist.
All four goals from Game 5:
Net Cam highlights:
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46