Apr 23, 2011, 7:52 PM EST
(For a full recap of the Washington Capitals’ 3-1 win over the New York Rangers – a win that makes Washington the first Eastern Conference team to make the second round – click here. Consult this video for footage of Mike Green‘s scary injury and check out this post for Alex Ovechkin‘s outstanding game-winner.)
If you want a quick-and-dirty explanation of Game 5, here it is: the Capitals carried the Game 4 comeback momentum into this contest while the Rangers seemed detached because of their loss.
That momentum can’t explain it all away, though, as Washington was ultimately too much for New York to handle. Mike Green, Alex Ovechkin and Alexander Semin scored for the Capitals while Wojtek Woslki spoiled Michal Neuvirth‘s shutout.
This post includes video footage of every goal in the first clip plus Net Cam highlights from Neuvirth and his goalie counterpart, Henrik Lundqvist.
All four goals from Game 5:
Net Cam highlights:
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 48
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)