Apr 23, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
Jason Pominville‘s playoff future might be in doubt after suffering a scary injury during Game 5′s overtime win over Philadelphia. Pominville left the game in the first period after he was cut on the leg by James van Riemsdyk‘s skate blade after a body check in the corner.
Pominville has been ruled out of Game 6 in Buffalo on Sunday which means Matt Ellis gets the call from the AHL to take his spot in the lineup.
As for how Pominville is doing, things weren’t looking too good after the game. The Buffalo News’ John Vogl has the observation from Philadelphia and the grim outlook from the Sabres head coach.
The Sabres’ early dominance disappeared when Jason Pominville did. The right winger suffered a lacerated left leg when stepped on with a skate late in the first period. He reportedly was seen after the game with crutches and a walking boot that went up above the knee.
“We’ll have more probably [Saturday], but it doesn’t look too good,” Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said.
Pominville is quietly one of the more important players in the lineup for Buffalo. He provides scoring balance along their top two lines and he’s got a knack for just finding the net. While the Flyers have issues of their own, Buffalo can’t afford to be losing any offensive producers from their lineup.
On the upside for Buffalo, they’re close to getting last season’s top scorer Derek Roy as well as Jochen Hecht back from injury as well. If Pominville is out for a while and they get Roy back, things shape up well for Buffalo. In a perfect world they’d have both guys ready to go, but as it is they’ll gladly welcome back a healthy Roy.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)