Apr 23, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
Jason Pominville‘s playoff future might be in doubt after suffering a scary injury during Game 5’s overtime win over Philadelphia. Pominville left the game in the first period after he was cut on the leg by James van Riemsdyk‘s skate blade after a body check in the corner.
Pominville has been ruled out of Game 6 in Buffalo on Sunday which means Matt Ellis gets the call from the AHL to take his spot in the lineup.
As for how Pominville is doing, things weren’t looking too good after the game. The Buffalo News’ John Vogl has the observation from Philadelphia and the grim outlook from the Sabres head coach.
The Sabres’ early dominance disappeared when Jason Pominville did. The right winger suffered a lacerated left leg when stepped on with a skate late in the first period. He reportedly was seen after the game with crutches and a walking boot that went up above the knee.
“We’ll have more probably [Saturday], but it doesn’t look too good,” Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said.
Pominville is quietly one of the more important players in the lineup for Buffalo. He provides scoring balance along their top two lines and he’s got a knack for just finding the net. While the Flyers have issues of their own, Buffalo can’t afford to be losing any offensive producers from their lineup.
On the upside for Buffalo, they’re close to getting last season’s top scorer Derek Roy as well as Jochen Hecht back from injury as well. If Pominville is out for a while and they get Roy back, things shape up well for Buffalo. In a perfect world they’d have both guys ready to go, but as it is they’ll gladly welcome back a healthy Roy.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)