Apr 23, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
While winning on home ice has been an issue for teams all throughout the playoffs, the Capitals are playing like a home team that wants it to matter.
The Capitals dominated play throughout the first period and thanks to a goal from Mike Green they’ve got a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes. Alex Ovechkin and Brooks Laich helped Green get that power play goal at 5:59. After the Rangers came out with an initial quick flurry of play to start the game with their line of Sean Avery, Brian Boyle, and Brandon Prust, the Caps got down to business and started dominating them.
The Caps are using tough physical play to take it to the Rangers and also to help them generate shots on goal as well. Henrik Lundqvist had to stay sharp making 12 saves in the first as the Caps kept sustained pressure in the Rangers zone. New York countered with just six shots on goal of their own that were all eaten up by Michal Neuvirth.
It wasn’t all rosy for Washington as Mike Green left the game after taking a shot off his head as he did his part to save Neuvirth from seeing a shot. The puck bounced off Green’s helmet and it was seen on video that screws popped off of Green’s helmet from the force of the shot. It’s unknown whether or not Green will return to action in the game.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 3
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 77
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)