Apr 23, 2011, 4:09 PM EST
While winning on home ice has been an issue for teams all throughout the playoffs, the Capitals are playing like a home team that wants it to matter.
The Capitals dominated play throughout the first period and thanks to a goal from Mike Green they’ve got a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes. Alex Ovechkin and Brooks Laich helped Green get that power play goal at 5:59. After the Rangers came out with an initial quick flurry of play to start the game with their line of Sean Avery, Brian Boyle, and Brandon Prust, the Caps got down to business and started dominating them.
The Caps are using tough physical play to take it to the Rangers and also to help them generate shots on goal as well. Henrik Lundqvist had to stay sharp making 12 saves in the first as the Caps kept sustained pressure in the Rangers zone. New York countered with just six shots on goal of their own that were all eaten up by Michal Neuvirth.
It wasn’t all rosy for Washington as Mike Green left the game after taking a shot off his head as he did his part to save Neuvirth from seeing a shot. The puck bounced off Green’s helmet and it was seen on video that screws popped off of Green’s helmet from the force of the shot. It’s unknown whether or not Green will return to action in the game.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 45
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9