Apr 23, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
While winning on home ice has been an issue for teams all throughout the playoffs, the Capitals are playing like a home team that wants it to matter.
The Capitals dominated play throughout the first period and thanks to a goal from Mike Green they’ve got a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes. Alex Ovechkin and Brooks Laich helped Green get that power play goal at 5:59. After the Rangers came out with an initial quick flurry of play to start the game with their line of Sean Avery, Brian Boyle, and Brandon Prust, the Caps got down to business and started dominating them.
The Caps are using tough physical play to take it to the Rangers and also to help them generate shots on goal as well. Henrik Lundqvist had to stay sharp making 12 saves in the first as the Caps kept sustained pressure in the Rangers zone. New York countered with just six shots on goal of their own that were all eaten up by Michal Neuvirth.
It wasn’t all rosy for Washington as Mike Green left the game after taking a shot off his head as he did his part to save Neuvirth from seeing a shot. The puck bounced off Green’s helmet and it was seen on video that screws popped off of Green’s helmet from the force of the shot. It’s unknown whether or not Green will return to action in the game.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 6
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)