Apr 23, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
There are times in a game where Alex Ovechkin does things that just make you jump out of your seat in amazement.
Today, much to the chagrin of the Rangers, just happened to be one of those days as Ovechkin’s semi-breakaway goal in the second that saw him pull away from the Rangers defense and deke to the backhand to beat Henrik Lundqvist and give the Capitals a 2-0 lead. The goal was Ovechkin’s third of the playoffs and he’s got six points now after earning an assist on Mike Green‘s goal in the first. Anyone care to doubt Ovechkin in the playoffs now?
As for the Rangers, their power play continues to be miserable. They came into today’s game having scored just once on 18 power plays and so far through Game 5 they’re 0-2. The Rangers must take advantage of those opportunities as Michal Neuvirth is standing tall in goal shutting out the Rangers with 16 saves.
The Rangers have to play desperate and smart in the third. If ever there was a time to play like “safe is death” now is it.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)