Apr 23, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
There are times in a game where Alex Ovechkin does things that just make you jump out of your seat in amazement.
Today, much to the chagrin of the Rangers, just happened to be one of those days as Ovechkin’s semi-breakaway goal in the second that saw him pull away from the Rangers defense and deke to the backhand to beat Henrik Lundqvist and give the Capitals a 2-0 lead. The goal was Ovechkin’s third of the playoffs and he’s got six points now after earning an assist on Mike Green‘s goal in the first. Anyone care to doubt Ovechkin in the playoffs now?
As for the Rangers, their power play continues to be miserable. They came into today’s game having scored just once on 18 power plays and so far through Game 5 they’re 0-2. The Rangers must take advantage of those opportunities as Michal Neuvirth is standing tall in goal shutting out the Rangers with 16 saves.
The Rangers have to play desperate and smart in the third. If ever there was a time to play like “safe is death” now is it.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12