Apr 23, 2011, 5:13 PM EST
There are times in a game where Alex Ovechkin does things that just make you jump out of your seat in amazement.
Today, much to the chagrin of the Rangers, just happened to be one of those days as Ovechkin’s semi-breakaway goal in the second that saw him pull away from the Rangers defense and deke to the backhand to beat Henrik Lundqvist and give the Capitals a 2-0 lead. The goal was Ovechkin’s third of the playoffs and he’s got six points now after earning an assist on Mike Green‘s goal in the first. Anyone care to doubt Ovechkin in the playoffs now?
As for the Rangers, their power play continues to be miserable. They came into today’s game having scored just once on 18 power plays and so far through Game 5 they’re 0-2. The Rangers must take advantage of those opportunities as Michal Neuvirth is standing tall in goal shutting out the Rangers with 16 saves.
The Rangers have to play desperate and smart in the third. If ever there was a time to play like “safe is death” now is it.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)