Apr 23, 2011, 5:13 PM EST
There are times in a game where Alex Ovechkin does things that just make you jump out of your seat in amazement.
Today, much to the chagrin of the Rangers, just happened to be one of those days as Ovechkin’s semi-breakaway goal in the second that saw him pull away from the Rangers defense and deke to the backhand to beat Henrik Lundqvist and give the Capitals a 2-0 lead. The goal was Ovechkin’s third of the playoffs and he’s got six points now after earning an assist on Mike Green‘s goal in the first. Anyone care to doubt Ovechkin in the playoffs now?
As for the Rangers, their power play continues to be miserable. They came into today’s game having scored just once on 18 power plays and so far through Game 5 they’re 0-2. The Rangers must take advantage of those opportunities as Michal Neuvirth is standing tall in goal shutting out the Rangers with 16 saves.
The Rangers have to play desperate and smart in the third. If ever there was a time to play like “safe is death” now is it.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)