Apr 23, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
There are times in a game where Alex Ovechkin does things that just make you jump out of your seat in amazement.
Today, much to the chagrin of the Rangers, just happened to be one of those days as Ovechkin’s semi-breakaway goal in the second that saw him pull away from the Rangers defense and deke to the backhand to beat Henrik Lundqvist and give the Capitals a 2-0 lead. The goal was Ovechkin’s third of the playoffs and he’s got six points now after earning an assist on Mike Green‘s goal in the first. Anyone care to doubt Ovechkin in the playoffs now?
As for the Rangers, their power play continues to be miserable. They came into today’s game having scored just once on 18 power plays and so far through Game 5 they’re 0-2. The Rangers must take advantage of those opportunities as Michal Neuvirth is standing tall in goal shutting out the Rangers with 16 saves.
The Rangers have to play desperate and smart in the third. If ever there was a time to play like “safe is death” now is it.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)