Apr 22, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
The 2010-11 season was a great one for several goalies, but the NHL singled out three players as the final nominees for the Vezina Trophy: Roberto Luongo, Pekka Rinne and Tim Thomas. The trophy’s parameters are quite simple: voters are asked to choose the best goalie. Before we get to the poll, here’s a quick rundown of each goalie’s season.
Record: 38-15-7; Save Percentage: 92.8; GAA: 2.10; SO: 4
The case for Luongo is simple: he’s the top goalie on the best team in the league. Even with the strength around him, he put up great individual numbers. The NHL’s press release reveals that his 92.8 save percentage is the fourth-best in the league while his GAA was second best. He’s now a three-time finalist for Vezina recognition.
Record: 33-22-9; Save Percentage: 93; GAA: 2.12; SO: 6
The Predators are good to goalies, even if they seem to have a weird tradition in which No. 1 goalies get injured to uncover great backups. That wasn’t the case this season, though, as Rinne distinguished himself as a truly elite netminder. He started 42 out of the team’s last 46 games as the team managed to earn a fifth seed. His 93 save percentage only ranked behind the record-breaking mark earned by Thomas.
Record: 35-11-9; Save percentage: 93.8; GAA: 2; SO: 9
Thomas dominates in just about every goalie category except overall games started. Even without that quantity, Thomas showed the qualities to earn 35 wins and gain a point for Boston in nine more. His save percentage broke Dominik Hasek’s record, his 2.00 GAA was the best in the league and his nine shutouts ranked second. He bounced back dramatically this season after failing to keep the momentum going in 2009-10 after winning the 2008-09 Vezina.
All three candidates have their strengths, so now it’s your chance to decide: who deserves the 2010-11 Vezina Trophy? Share your opinion in the poll below.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 10
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)