Apr 22, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
The 2010-11 season was a great one for several goalies, but the NHL singled out three players as the final nominees for the Vezina Trophy: Roberto Luongo, Pekka Rinne and Tim Thomas. The trophy’s parameters are quite simple: voters are asked to choose the best goalie. Before we get to the poll, here’s a quick rundown of each goalie’s season.
Record: 38-15-7; Save Percentage: 92.8; GAA: 2.10; SO: 4
The case for Luongo is simple: he’s the top goalie on the best team in the league. Even with the strength around him, he put up great individual numbers. The NHL’s press release reveals that his 92.8 save percentage is the fourth-best in the league while his GAA was second best. He’s now a three-time finalist for Vezina recognition.
Record: 33-22-9; Save Percentage: 93; GAA: 2.12; SO: 6
The Predators are good to goalies, even if they seem to have a weird tradition in which No. 1 goalies get injured to uncover great backups. That wasn’t the case this season, though, as Rinne distinguished himself as a truly elite netminder. He started 42 out of the team’s last 46 games as the team managed to earn a fifth seed. His 93 save percentage only ranked behind the record-breaking mark earned by Thomas.
Record: 35-11-9; Save percentage: 93.8; GAA: 2; SO: 9
Thomas dominates in just about every goalie category except overall games started. Even without that quantity, Thomas showed the qualities to earn 35 wins and gain a point for Boston in nine more. His save percentage broke Dominik Hasek’s record, his 2.00 GAA was the best in the league and his nine shutouts ranked second. He bounced back dramatically this season after failing to keep the momentum going in 2009-10 after winning the 2008-09 Vezina.
All three candidates have their strengths, so now it’s your chance to decide: who deserves the 2010-11 Vezina Trophy? Share your opinion in the poll below.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)