Apr 22, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
Considering the fact that the 2011 playoffs re-seed after each round, the Detroit Red Wings can simply root for the other three series to keep going. Their veteran roster could benefit greatly from the break they’ll get from sweeping the Phoenix Coyotes in the first round.
The Detroit News reports that both Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen expect to be healthy enough to play in the next round of the playoffs. Zetterberg missed the last two games of the regular season with a knee injury and didn’t play in Detroit’s first round series against Phoenix while Franzen missed Game 4 with an ankle issue. Zetterberg practiced on Friday while Franzen did not, but the team confirmed that both forwards are expected to be back for the next series.
Here’s what Zetterberg and head coach Mike Babcock had to say about the health of those two forwards.
Zetterberg said he’ll be ready to dress after Friday’s practice, and coach Mike Babcock confirmed it, as the Wings completed a brisk workout before taking the rest of the weekend off.
“I’m feeling better than yesterday, and that’s all I can ask for,” said Zetterberg, who missed the entire first-round sweep of Phoenix because of a left knee sprain. “As long as it goes that way, it’ll be good.”
Franzen (sore ankle), who didn’t play in Wednesday’s deciding game against Phoenix, didn’t practice but Babcock said Franzen will be ready to go for the next round.
“We’ll give him as much time as (needed) to make sure he’s feeling good,” Babcock said. “I’m not one bit concerned.”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22