Apr 22, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
Considering the fact that the 2011 playoffs re-seed after each round, the Detroit Red Wings can simply root for the other three series to keep going. Their veteran roster could benefit greatly from the break they’ll get from sweeping the Phoenix Coyotes in the first round.
The Detroit News reports that both Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen expect to be healthy enough to play in the next round of the playoffs. Zetterberg missed the last two games of the regular season with a knee injury and didn’t play in Detroit’s first round series against Phoenix while Franzen missed Game 4 with an ankle issue. Zetterberg practiced on Friday while Franzen did not, but the team confirmed that both forwards are expected to be back for the next series.
Here’s what Zetterberg and head coach Mike Babcock had to say about the health of those two forwards.
Zetterberg said he’ll be ready to dress after Friday’s practice, and coach Mike Babcock confirmed it, as the Wings completed a brisk workout before taking the rest of the weekend off.
“I’m feeling better than yesterday, and that’s all I can ask for,” said Zetterberg, who missed the entire first-round sweep of Phoenix because of a left knee sprain. “As long as it goes that way, it’ll be good.”
Franzen (sore ankle), who didn’t play in Wednesday’s deciding game against Phoenix, didn’t practice but Babcock said Franzen will be ready to go for the next round.
“We’ll give him as much time as (needed) to make sure he’s feeling good,” Babcock said. “I’m not one bit concerned.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)