Apr 22, 2011, 3:54 PM EST
Considering the fact that the 2011 playoffs re-seed after each round, the Detroit Red Wings can simply root for the other three series to keep going. Their veteran roster could benefit greatly from the break they’ll get from sweeping the Phoenix Coyotes in the first round.
The Detroit News reports that both Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen expect to be healthy enough to play in the next round of the playoffs. Zetterberg missed the last two games of the regular season with a knee injury and didn’t play in Detroit’s first round series against Phoenix while Franzen missed Game 4 with an ankle issue. Zetterberg practiced on Friday while Franzen did not, but the team confirmed that both forwards are expected to be back for the next series.
Here’s what Zetterberg and head coach Mike Babcock had to say about the health of those two forwards.
Zetterberg said he’ll be ready to dress after Friday’s practice, and coach Mike Babcock confirmed it, as the Wings completed a brisk workout before taking the rest of the weekend off.
“I’m feeling better than yesterday, and that’s all I can ask for,” said Zetterberg, who missed the entire first-round sweep of Phoenix because of a left knee sprain. “As long as it goes that way, it’ll be good.”
Franzen (sore ankle), who didn’t play in Wednesday’s deciding game against Phoenix, didn’t practice but Babcock said Franzen will be ready to go for the next round.
“We’ll give him as much time as (needed) to make sure he’s feeling good,” Babcock said. “I’m not one bit concerned.”
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 1
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 50
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)