Apr 22, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
Considering the fact that the 2011 playoffs re-seed after each round, the Detroit Red Wings can simply root for the other three series to keep going. Their veteran roster could benefit greatly from the break they’ll get from sweeping the Phoenix Coyotes in the first round.
The Detroit News reports that both Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen expect to be healthy enough to play in the next round of the playoffs. Zetterberg missed the last two games of the regular season with a knee injury and didn’t play in Detroit’s first round series against Phoenix while Franzen missed Game 4 with an ankle issue. Zetterberg practiced on Friday while Franzen did not, but the team confirmed that both forwards are expected to be back for the next series.
Here’s what Zetterberg and head coach Mike Babcock had to say about the health of those two forwards.
Zetterberg said he’ll be ready to dress after Friday’s practice, and coach Mike Babcock confirmed it, as the Wings completed a brisk workout before taking the rest of the weekend off.
“I’m feeling better than yesterday, and that’s all I can ask for,” said Zetterberg, who missed the entire first-round sweep of Phoenix because of a left knee sprain. “As long as it goes that way, it’ll be good.”
Franzen (sore ankle), who didn’t play in Wednesday’s deciding game against Phoenix, didn’t practice but Babcock said Franzen will be ready to go for the next round.
“We’ll give him as much time as (needed) to make sure he’s feeling good,” Babcock said. “I’m not one bit concerned.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)