Apr 22, 2011, 2:49 PM EST
Earlier today, we speculated that a seemingly successful morning skate meant that Chris Pronger might actually play in Game 5 against the Buffalo Sabres. As it turns out, that practice didn’t go as well as it first seemed, as CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that Pronger won’t play tonight after all.
It was mentioned that Pronger was taking slap shots during the morning skate, but Panaccio reports that he was wincing with pain after some of them. That’s not a great sign that the defenseman would be able to play his normally dominant game. Panaccio writes that he’s still officially listed as day-to-day.
Considering his time off and far-from-full-strength condition, the team wasn’t going to have him play in his usual all-everything role anyway. Still, it must be a bit of a letdown that the Flyers will continue to play without Pronger and also must beat Buffalo without Jeff Carter.
Panaccio caught up with Matt Carle, Pronger’s most common defensive partner.
Pronger did take part in every aspect of the drills but as Matt Carle — his on-ice partner — said, the decision was going to likely come down to how much pain he had this morning and what he can tolerate.
If Pronger had played, it was going to be in a limited role.
“When he comes out there, you expect him to be the Hall of the Fame defenseman he is,” Carle said, admitting he had no idea what Pronger’s intentions were of playing. “You don’t think anything less of him. We have to see how he’s feeling. He’s the only one who can answer that.”
Tonight’s game is a pivotal one, so it’s not surprising that Pronger tried his best to come back. The Flyers cannot afford to have him try to play for a shift or two and then abruptly hang it up. They also cannot afford for him to hurt that hand in a longer term way, so this is just how it had to go.
It’s tough not to wonder if Pronger might not be back for the Flyers in this playoffs run, but you never know.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)