Apr 22, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
Almost any playoff game can change the scope of a series considering the limited amount of contests involved, but Game 5′s are frequently pivotal. That should definitely be the case for tonight’s two games, as both series will end up 3-2 by the end of the evening. Let’s take a look at them now, with all start times being Eastern Standard Time (ET).
Buffalo @ Philadelphia – 7:30 p.m. (Versus); Series tied 2-2.
This is starting to seem like a feast or famine series for Sabres goalie Ryan Miller. In the team’s two wins, he looked like an absolute star by getting shutouts. Yet in the two losses, he’s been able to empathize with Roberto Luongo‘s struggles by allowing eight goals. It’ll be interesting to see if this ends up being a tight or wide open game tonight.
One thing that seems certain is that the intensity will ratchet up. The two sides keep falling into wars of words, with the most recent exchange taking place between Sabres coach Lindy Ruff and Flyers captain Mike Richards. If you haven’t been able to see much of this series yet, you should absolutely take the chance to watch tonight’s game.
Nashville @ Anaheim – 10 p.m. (Versus); Series tied at 2-2
With Bobby Ryan‘s two-game absence in mind, the Ducks probably feel pretty good about returning to Anaheim with their series tie intact. This is very much a seesaw series so far, with the Predators looking great in Games 1 and 3 and the Ducks winning impressively in Game 2 and 4.
Much like that Flyers-Sabres series, the angst level keeps rising as well. From Ryan’s suspension to Ducks GM Bob Murray’s diving complaints to the Jarkko Ruutu suspension, these teams are clearly getting to know each other. Expect some fireworks in what could be a decisive rubber match.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39