Apr 21, 2011, 1:35 AM EDT
After losing a back-and-forth Game 3 in tough fashion, the Ducks needed to step up and do a little bit more to help their struggling goaltending with Ray Emery. Tonight they got a Herculean effort out of Corey Perry who scored a shorthanded goal and added two assists to lead the Ducks to a 6-3 win over Nashville and tie the series at 2-2.
The Ducks got surprising offense as well from Cam Fowler and Brandon McMillan who each added a goal and an assist while Teemu Selanne scored his fifth goal of the playoffs. Emery made 19 saves to get the win while the Ducks were able to chase Pekka Rinne after McMillan’s goal in the third period made it 6-3.
For Anaheim, the win is huge not just in the sense that they tie up the series but also in that they get Bobby Ryan back from suspension in Game 5. While their defense was able to tighten things up a little bit, one thing they have done is shown that Pekka Rinne is very much a mortal goaltender.
The Ducks have done quite well to score on Rinne and make the Predators tough defense look unable to handle the load. Whatever’s happened to Rinne and the rest of the defense needs to be remedied somehow if Nashville wants to win their first playoff series.
What we expected to see in this series was a clash between an offensively tough team like Anaheim and a defensive juggernaut like Nashville. The latter half of that hasn’t shown up yet and if that continues to be the case, the Predators are in big trouble.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)