Apr 21, 2011, 1:35 AM EDT
After losing a back-and-forth Game 3 in tough fashion, the Ducks needed to step up and do a little bit more to help their struggling goaltending with Ray Emery. Tonight they got a Herculean effort out of Corey Perry who scored a shorthanded goal and added two assists to lead the Ducks to a 6-3 win over Nashville and tie the series at 2-2.
The Ducks got surprising offense as well from Cam Fowler and Brandon McMillan who each added a goal and an assist while Teemu Selanne scored his fifth goal of the playoffs. Emery made 19 saves to get the win while the Ducks were able to chase Pekka Rinne after McMillan’s goal in the third period made it 6-3.
For Anaheim, the win is huge not just in the sense that they tie up the series but also in that they get Bobby Ryan back from suspension in Game 5. While their defense was able to tighten things up a little bit, one thing they have done is shown that Pekka Rinne is very much a mortal goaltender.
The Ducks have done quite well to score on Rinne and make the Predators tough defense look unable to handle the load. Whatever’s happened to Rinne and the rest of the defense needs to be remedied somehow if Nashville wants to win their first playoff series.
What we expected to see in this series was a clash between an offensively tough team like Anaheim and a defensive juggernaut like Nashville. The latter half of that hasn’t shown up yet and if that continues to be the case, the Predators are in big trouble.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)