Apr 21, 2011, 1:35 AM EDT
After losing a back-and-forth Game 3 in tough fashion, the Ducks needed to step up and do a little bit more to help their struggling goaltending with Ray Emery. Tonight they got a Herculean effort out of Corey Perry who scored a shorthanded goal and added two assists to lead the Ducks to a 6-3 win over Nashville and tie the series at 2-2.
The Ducks got surprising offense as well from Cam Fowler and Brandon McMillan who each added a goal and an assist while Teemu Selanne scored his fifth goal of the playoffs. Emery made 19 saves to get the win while the Ducks were able to chase Pekka Rinne after McMillan’s goal in the third period made it 6-3.
For Anaheim, the win is huge not just in the sense that they tie up the series but also in that they get Bobby Ryan back from suspension in Game 5. While their defense was able to tighten things up a little bit, one thing they have done is shown that Pekka Rinne is very much a mortal goaltender.
The Ducks have done quite well to score on Rinne and make the Predators tough defense look unable to handle the load. Whatever’s happened to Rinne and the rest of the defense needs to be remedied somehow if Nashville wants to win their first playoff series.
What we expected to see in this series was a clash between an offensively tough team like Anaheim and a defensive juggernaut like Nashville. The latter half of that hasn’t shown up yet and if that continues to be the case, the Predators are in big trouble.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)