Apr 21, 2011, 1:35 AM EDT
After losing a back-and-forth Game 3 in tough fashion, the Ducks needed to step up and do a little bit more to help their struggling goaltending with Ray Emery. Tonight they got a Herculean effort out of Corey Perry who scored a shorthanded goal and added two assists to lead the Ducks to a 6-3 win over Nashville and tie the series at 2-2.
The Ducks got surprising offense as well from Cam Fowler and Brandon McMillan who each added a goal and an assist while Teemu Selanne scored his fifth goal of the playoffs. Emery made 19 saves to get the win while the Ducks were able to chase Pekka Rinne after McMillan’s goal in the third period made it 6-3.
For Anaheim, the win is huge not just in the sense that they tie up the series but also in that they get Bobby Ryan back from suspension in Game 5. While their defense was able to tighten things up a little bit, one thing they have done is shown that Pekka Rinne is very much a mortal goaltender.
The Ducks have done quite well to score on Rinne and make the Predators tough defense look unable to handle the load. Whatever’s happened to Rinne and the rest of the defense needs to be remedied somehow if Nashville wants to win their first playoff series.
What we expected to see in this series was a clash between an offensively tough team like Anaheim and a defensive juggernaut like Nashville. The latter half of that hasn’t shown up yet and if that continues to be the case, the Predators are in big trouble.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)