Daniel Briere says the officiating went too far in Game 4

Apr 21, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT

Daniel Briere, Jordan Leopold Getty Images

During last night’s heated Game 4 between Buffalo and Philadelphia, the heat that many were expecting to see between these two teams finally started to show up. You saw Ryan Miller and Dan Carcillo take pokes at each other and you also saw Flyers captain Mike Richards deliver a questionable back-elbow to the face of Patrick Kaleta.

Richards received a five-minute major for elbowing on his play and while it’s not as obvious as say Chris Kunitz‘s elbow to Simon Gagne was, getting the captain sent off for five minutes grabs everyone’s attention. It certainly got the attention of Daniel Briere who is doing a daily blog at Chuck Gormley’s Flyer Files.

Briere who has been denying being a war of words with former teammate Ryan Miller, spoke out this morning on the site to say that the referees might be better off getting their act together.

Last night we felt the five-minute penalty on Mike Richards was personal more than anything and there was a lot of frustration from that. Mike wasn’t happy about the (roughing) call on (Dan) Carcillo when both Miller and (Mike) Weber were mugging him and Weber didn’t get anything. We were all furious about that call and then he turned around and gave Mike the five minutes. For the most part since I’ve been here the refs have been very good at knowing the difference between the playoffs and the regular season, but I thought last night the line was crossed by one of them.

This sort of frustration was being echoed by all the Flyers after last night’s 1-0 loss but when you see it there in cold hard print, it hammers things home a bit.

Of course we treat these things a bit cynically as we’re guessing the Flyers might be politicking for some calls to go their way. That’d be understandable if they were being shortchanged in that department but they’re not. The Sabres have had 30 penalties called against them in the playoffs, tied for most in the postseason with Anaheim. They’ve spent over 34 minutes on the penalty kill in the series.

If the Flyers power play performed better (scoring at a 9.5% rate in the playoffs, fifth worst in the postseason) they could’ve put Buffalo in a much worse spot by now but instead they’re in a fight for the series down to a best of three at this point.

If Philadelphia wants to help put the Sabres away they’re going to have to get to Ryan Miller somehow as well as get their power play clicking at a better rate. If not, games like last night’s Game 4 could happen again and when it comes down to it, you don’t want to end up in that uncomfortable position of leaving fate up to the goalies.

1. ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:43 PM

And they didn’t get the refs help when they had 10 PP’s in game #2? I agree! Cause Philly doesn’t get any “Phantom penalties on Buffalo”….EVER! haha

MILLER!!!!

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM

“The Sabres have had 30 penalties called against them in the playoffs, tied for most in the postseason.”

And ‘Ruff and Co.’ aren’t complaining!

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM

For all you Philly fans…haha

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Blue and Yellow Baby!

2. gjsobie - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Apparently the Flyers can dish is out, but can’t take it when they get smacked around. Strange how Briere doesn’t mention the penalty imbalance in the first two games of the series.

3. kellyb9 - Apr 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Say what you want about game 2 versus game 4 and bad officiating, I’d just prefer that the referees let them play.

4. snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 1:53 PM

That was by far the worst game called that i have ever watched. I know the refs are not perfect but that was just bad. The NHL should be embarrassed from what those refs did last night. The Buffalo Sabers are the dirtiest team i have ever seen play the game of hockey. This game was over the top but it has been dirty all series long from that team. They gave cheap shots all game. One of the Sabers players even opened up the bench door so another Sabers player could check him into and inside the bench area. That is uncalled for. That is just as bad at the Chara hit. That could have ended a career. Something needs to be done to that team. I think the NHL and the refs from that game owe the Flyers an apology. The Sabers do not deserve to win any game when they play that dirty. The Sabers are a pathetic excuse for a professional hockey team.

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 2:12 PM

HAHAHA…the Sabres are dirty? For real? Was that a Sabres stick who hit Gerbe in the jewels after the game was over (for no reason)? Nope…Stupid Philly fans! Don’t be mad cause our little guy Gerbe was checking all of your big guys and they were hitting the deck like a train hit em! I call that heart! Oh and when Kaleta was gonna check Richards into the boards….Richards seen it coming, put his elbow up and pushed it back trying to hurt Kaleta…watch it on replay, scumbags!

Just like the city of Philadelphia and there so called “fans”! Just cause we have more heart than your team doesn’t make them dirty! Remember in game #2 when Hartnell was a tough guy and faught Goose? And Goose put Hartnell’s head into his jersey, beat him up (so he didn’t touch his perm)…that was priceless! Until next time ladies!

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM

You’re an idiot. maybe Gerbe got hit because after the whistle blew he checked Timonen into the boards – cheap shot and dirty.

Where were your fans when you team was in the bottom of the league?? No where. The flyers games sell out every night, every game, every year. Goose pulled the jersey over because he was afraid to fight Hartnell so he did that. Wait till this series is over. You will be sitting at home with your lousy, dirty team saying “we have more heart!!!!” no one has more heart then Philly fans.

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM

We sell out every game idiot Philly fan! EVERY GAME! Even when we’re playing crappy. NOWHERE? Oh yes that’s exactly where you’re going this year…No Where! Enjoy golfing!

Cheap shots? I don’t get what you see!! Are you ignorant and blind? Or just ignorant? Well from now on I’m gonna call you Stevie “The Snoboarder92201″ Wonder…is that ok? I actually don’t care if that’s ok…that’s your new name!

So Stevie,
        ~Rolling over Miller, tackling Miller, going in Millers’ crease…Not dirty! Gotcha
        ~Us not touching your goalie…dirty!

~Philly guys cheap shotting our guys after ALMOST ALL the plays are over…Not dirty! Gotcha
        ~Our guys protecting one another….dirty!

~Mike Richards throwing a hard elbow to Kaleta’s face…Not dirty! Gotcha
        ~Sabres pushing a Philly player in the door to our own bench…Sorry that he’s “Slow” just like Philly fans, he’s gotta learn his colors so he knows where to go when his shift is over! We were trying to get on the bench so we didn’t have 8 guys on the ice….ending his career? Really? Is he that fragile? We weren’t checking him while he was napping, we were just holding him down until he decided to get up!….I loved it!

Want more Stevie?

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM

What grade are you in? Giving people nick names? I don’t believe we did anything to Miller. except our player got punched by him for no reason and our player got the penalty. And the cheap shots after every play was already established that the Sabers have been doing this all series. You must be watching your Bills (great sports town you have there). And no one was trying to get to the bench. Patrick Kaleta stood up while sitting on the bench and opened the door that Zherdev was being checked on to. That is dirty. Usually when a player on the bench that interferes with the on ice activity, there is a suspension. Nothing there right – DIRTY. Your team barely deserved to be in the playoffs. Wait till tomorrow. We will put you in your place at the bottom of the league and then send your “great” fans home crying after we win the series in your building in game 6. So now that i am done with you, go finish your homework and then get ready for bed, you child

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM

A Bills comment??? Haha, before you run your mouth here’s a little info about me!
        I’m not a Bills fan….
        I am a Buffalo Sabres, Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat and Toronto Blue Jays fan. And it’s a great sports town up here, I hate the Bills but they have harcore fans even in their worst years. That takes a lot for me to say…but it’s true! I gave you the nickname cause you earned it. So before you start talking trash about the Bills, it doesn’t bother me. Sabres fans are die hard fans even though we haven’t had much success. Haha, you think I’m a child? Silly baby boy! I’m not…It’s just that your juvenile brain can’t comprehend common sense! It’s ok dear! lol Go pretend you’re a Flyer and go to putt putt! Ask mommy for a few extra dollars so you can play in the arcade after!

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Wow, you must be the worst sports fan in this country. No rhyme or reason for you to any of those teams. You are just as pathetic as those dirty Sabers are. Good comeback too, telling me I am a child after I said the same to you. how long did it take you to think of that. Enjoy your one and done in the NHL playoffs, going no where with the Blue Jays and Dolphins and I am happy for your Heat team and how great a fan you are. Wait, you have only been a Heat fan for less then a year, my bad.

• dannik85 - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Wow, you’re an idiot. It’s too funny how you can defend a team who plays like pure asshole just because they have a goalie who is good enough to carry them. Your team is a bunch of dirty assholes, for sure…people wanna talk shit on the Flyers for being too aggressive or bullying but what the Sabres got away with last night was an embarrassment to the league. I don’t think the phrase “Go Sabres” is even correct, I think you all mean “Go, Ryan Miller”. And even if you did win that game, it would embarrass me as a fan to know that without him, my team would be about where the Islanders are. What’s funnier is that before we clinched your spot in the playoffs, all you jackasses were sitting around wondering if you were even gonna make it into the playoffs. And now that you have you can rest assured you won’t be leaving it with a cup, which is nothing new for you.

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM

So you just added the Eagles to your list of teams you like? That is pathetic and a violation that you call yourself a sports fan. Go away and never come back, no one wants you here

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Heat fan since Hardaway was on the team…Flyers fans are girls enough said! Pick on my teams…wow! So you’re probably a Yankees/Lakers/closet Redwings fan/Patriots fan! Pick on me and my teams loser….at least I admit to who I like instead of hiding my teams under the skirt…like u!

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Hey moron, you never asked who I like. I don’t follow teams because they win. My team is the Flyers. I also am a fan of the Eagles but I hate Vick so I hope he either breaks his leg in the first game and never wears an Eagles jersey again or he loses every game he plays. i will never cheer for him. I am not a Phillies fan.

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Go Vick! lol

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

snoboarder..you gotta watch this!
        There’s a perfect lyric in this song about Kaleta for you!

• donfocker89 - Apr 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Alright guys, this has gone a little too far between you two. I have read over this itiotic battle between you two and you both make HORRIBLE points. Allow me to set things straight. Lets start with the easy one on the Philly Fan.

-Its spelled “Sabres” sheesh
      -Dirtiest team in hockey? every year we make the playoffs we are a team that is predicted to be pushed around due to our lack of size. Its called “not taking shit from anybody.” You want them to bend over and take it, or fight back?
      -The Flyers are always a team that hits and makes you look over your shoulder. They do a great job of it, but are being out hit in the series.
      -What cheap shots? Usually at the end of the whistle and there is a scuffle, there is a lot of tension and worthless grappling (McCormick holding Zherdev into the boards) and Kaleta opens the door, stands up and moves down the bench, usually to let all the players change when there is a stoppage. You ever play hockey and do that? Hence the Marty Turco video.
      -Just as bad as the hit Chara did? Are you kidding me? Could end a career? This country is built upon watching youtube videos of people(idiots) hurting themselves, but get up and walk away without a scratch. Well maybe a bruise. Hes a damn hockey player, I think he’s fine. And Chara’s hit could not have only ended his career, he could have ended his life with that hit. So yeah good comparrison.
      -Your team is owed an apology? Did you break your leg and need some flowers sent to your room and we all sign your cast? Its hockey for crying out loud. YOUR PHILADELPHIA!! MAN UP!
      -Gerbe got hit because he “checked” Timonen into the boards? Gerbe is 3 foot 7 and a buck fifty soaking wet. Bad blood goes on during games he barely touched. Then Timonen throws a stick to the groin? THAT is dirty. A shove would be fine but that is just weak on his part.
      -Did you happen to watch that whole scuffle at the end of the game? Gerbe faces Timonen and (I believe) Hartnell about to take him down. Hmmm 2 on 1 against a midget? Nice. A big scuffle breaks out and there is 3 Flyers on 2 Sabres. Way to man up and swing the odds (Kinda like all the penalties)
      -Im pretty sure our fans showed up to every game this year, even when we looked horrible pre all star break. Have you mistaken us for Phoenix? The Bills are going to Toronto, not the Sabres.

Now not to pick sides, its time to start with the Heat Fan. (Sorry but you like teams from Miami, Buffalo, and Toronto? It doesnt sit well with me)

-You are just awful at arguments. You have no flavor in making fun of people. You bring up stupid things such as the fight with Goose and Hartnell.
      -Pulling a jersey over someone’s head and going after them isnt something to show boat. I didnt see the whole fight exactly, but the way you tell it it doesnt sound too great.
      -You cant be a Sabres fan AND a Dolphins fan. You cant hold different sides like that. Its just wrong. Its like a Yankee fan being a Celtics fan. IT JUST DOESNT HAPPEN!
      -I know it doesnt seem like im picking on you enough, but thats only because you tried stupid childish jokes the whole time and never made a valid point during this “HOCKEY” discussion.

Now that you have both been put in your place, I give you my final tought.
      Folks, its the playoffs. All 16 teams have heart and all the fans are nuts. Players hit hard and hit often. Sometimes the ugly happens so just get over it. As for the penalties? The Sabres are 2 for 28 and Philly is 1 for 30. Doesnt seem to make too much of a difference. Philly is just a little upset and a bit struck that they have been completely shutout in both losses. I would be pissed too if the #1 scoring team couldnt get one by against a very average goaltender(Yeah I said it) Even if you survive this series you guys wont get very far in the playoffs. As for the refs and all these penalty calls I say “LET THEM PLAY!”

Thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen. Im here all week. (9-5 of course) Be sure to tip your waitress.

• ru4real4real - Apr 22, 2011 at 7:40 AM

I’m not going into the WHOLE story of how I like The fins…but I will say when I was 10, someone close to me passed away…that person was a very close friend to me even though they were much older. It was my grandmother. She was a fins fan, so I became a hardcore fins fan after the fact. If you can’t respect that for what it is, then oh well. So yes, I like The fins because of her and I’ve always followed the heat. Being in Buffalo, its a Sabres town so I’ve always rooted for them. And the Blue Jays, well we used to take trips up there for games so that’s kinda always been my team. I’m not huge into baseball, but that’s who I like (I also follow the Marlins too) If you can’t respect that and wanna trash for who I like then so be it…I just don’t pick teams from random places! SO IT DOES HAPPEN! And that’s the reason why….alright? Good!

• buffaloborn0807 - Apr 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

We didn’t open the door, we just put ur boys through it…there s a difference. When we we re last in the league we still stood behind our team and STILL SOLD EVERY GAME OUT. Unlike the fair weather fans in philly we stand behind our teams. Briere s jab to Miller s face wasnt dirty at all(scumbags). Richards throwing bows cause he was INTIMIDATED by Kaleta(also Buffalo Born) wasnt dirty either and Andy Reid is not fat. Its okay if your scared and intimidated and basically dominated by our much more physical play. KEEP WHINNING, I heard philly fans are good at that. Second round is looking great especially with your pathetic goal tending carousel. Do you guys wanna borrow Enroth, I’m sure we can help you out to make this interesting. So keep whining keep losing and mist of all enjoy having the next 2 months off…

5. bcjim - Apr 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Yes. Philly fans are definitely more scarecrow than lion, I’ll give you that much.

6. snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Dirtiest play in hockey ever?????

• eyecorporations - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM

right…when Kaleta opens the door on a player it’s the “dirtiest play in a while” (learn how to read), but when Marty Turco does it? A-OK!!!

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Yea that was pretty bad as well but at least no one was pushing him into the opening. That is the first time I have seen that. Was there any type of penalty or suspension for it?

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Great job eyecorporations! I agree with you….they’re just crying cause they lost!

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Stevie Wonder….do you watch ESPN? NHL network? You complain about it happening to your team…it happened before, get over it! I can’t find the video of when Roy fell into the door and the one guy was stepping on him so he couldn’t get up. It was ok then, so stop crying!

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You are so cool. I do watch them. maybe not as much as you because i work 9-5 and have a life. You know your team is going no where. Enjoy last nights win by The Buff… Ryan Miller. It is your last win until October.

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Thats funny cause I work 7 to 3! With a way better paying job than you have!

• buffalogmbler - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM

looks like theres a ref right there to witness that it was a player coming off the ice no check just a little nudge becomes dirtiest player ever, why not try dirtiest fans ever. Like when Ruff got hit in his head with a beer bottle a few years back.

• xxtemplar76xx - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I just think its funny how the bully’s cry after losing to us. go ahead amke your excuses. cry over your penalties. but at the end of the series you still arent going to go on to the second round. :-) kthx!

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:55 PM

There is no player going off the ice. What were you watching? It was a cheap and dirty play. Pathetic of a professional hockey player. The Sabers should feel lucky to have lasted this long. Obviously it is only because of the goalie. I am huge Flyers fan, but Ryan Miller is a great goalie and i respect him for the way he plays. Even punching Carcillo. i would love to see my goalie be aggressive like that. i obviously don’t like it happening to my team but I respect the player for what he does on the ice and what he did for us last year getting the silver medal.

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM

They stopped checking him once the door opened….not dirty at all! Grier was coming off anyway! Stop crying! It would have been dirty if they pushed him in harder than the way he fell.

7. flyerscup2010 - Apr 21, 2011 at 3:59 PM

the officiating in this game was a disgrace, and fans of both teams should be offended and embarassed that the referees, particularly francois st. laurent, allowed the game to proceed as it did. for the first two periods they called a penalty on both teams for any bit of minor contact that occurred. for the entire 3rd period they put their whistles away and decided to “let them play” despite how aggressive both teams got with each other. it turned into a free for all and it was embarassing for hockey that the referees allowed it.

and all of that is without even mentioning how out of line it is that they called a major penalty on richards. also, the fact that only two penalties were called when three sabres decided to play pinball with carcillo – and one of the penalties was on carcillo…for some reason – is mind boggling. kaleta pushed zherdev into the sabres’ bench after a whistle and behind the play, connolly had his hand on the puck in the sabres’ crease and a penalty shot wasnt called, and tyler myers, on multiple occasions, was shoving people around after the whistle with no repercussions.

please understand this isnt homerism and this isnt a flyers fan who’s whining because his team lost (because despite the refs, i just dont think ryan miller was going to allow a goal during that game anyway). this is a hockey fan who is disappointed with his sport because one rookie referee decided to insert himself directly into a game. why is a rookie referee working the playoffs anyway?

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Well said!! Here’s to buying that dirty team in the ground tomorrow night!!!

• emperor83 - Apr 23, 2011 at 2:38 AM

good job with the whole “Game 5 burial”, Philly! HAHAHAHA!

• ru4real4real - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Crying over refs? But not in game #2….it goes both ways idiot!

• snoboarder92201 - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM

We are not talking about game 2. The calls were made and i didn’t see headlines on PHT and ESPN about how bad the officiating was did I? No. So shut up.

• eyecorporations - Apr 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM

It didn’t make headlines because the Sabres have better things to do than whine about the refs

8. eagles512 - Apr 21, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I hate when someone says that the refs were fair because x amount of penalties or fouls were called on y team. If guys are committing penalties non-stop, of course more calls will be made. It doesn’t mean they didn’t miss a bunch of calls. Just a generic comment…..not meant for this series.

9. dcent87 - Apr 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Sabers are playing as dirty asru4reals moms muddy vag….hope you enjoyed your last win of the season

• emperor83 - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM

JOKE OF THE YEAR: Flyers and their fans calling another team “dirty”. I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. It’s ok. Richards is being “consoled” by Hartnell in private as we speak…

10. emperor83 - Apr 21, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Buffalo gets unfair calls against them? “Bring it!” Richards gets 5 in the box for an OBVIOUS cheap shot? “WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

11. emperor83 - Apr 22, 2011 at 3:43 AM

PHILADELPHIA UNIT ONLINE…
    CODENAME: “FLYER”

PERFORMANCE: 150% POWER (PHILADELPHIA STANDARDS)
    12% (NHL STANDARDS)

PRIMARY FUNCTION
    GOON

SECONDARY FUNCTION
    CRYBABY (DURING MISSION(“DEFEAT BUFFALO”) FAILURE…)
    ERROR:24-7
    SOLUTION: RE-ROUTING “CRYBABY” TO PRIMARY FUNCTION.
    REASON: MISSION FAILURE RATE HIGHER THAN SUCCESS RATE

12. sportsguy77 - Apr 22, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Briere has a short memory. He forgets the game Buffalo had 10 more penalties than the Flyers. Whaaaaaaaaa….

13. rabidbillsfan - Apr 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Sooooo…. Game 5 in the books, and sabres won in OT. So whose crying now? I think the team that backed into the playoffs. BTW, Sabres games have been sold out the majority of the season. AVG. Attendance is around 17,950 with a full capacity at 18,600. The Fargo center looked pretty empty last night… oh thats right you all left because the sabres stormed out 3-0. Talk about fair weather fans…

14. l3on9z1lla - Apr 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM

This is by far the most retarded set of comments i have read with the exception of youtube. First off i am a flyer fan…and the only reason most of us are bitching about the Penalty’s is that our PP cant ge a puck past miller who has kept you Sabres in the playoffs…now yes some of the calls were dodgy at best this series and i agree with flyerscup2010 as a hockey fan its a disgrace to see such a poor standard of oficiating in the playoffs 5 min’s for what is not an elbow more using your body to brace for a hit and yes maybe a little dirty but still WEAK. The call for interference when cross checked into miller WEAK Kimmo’s Nut Shot WEAK its disgracefull but its only because the refs really dropped the ball this series by abysmal decisions on both sides. But lets have a game 7 because say what u like the games have not been boring like i dunno the redwings or the caps and both teams deserve credit for the heart and determination to win which is what the playoffs is about and as for your childish namecalling and bitching it just proves that no matter what team or sport you watch support or play for people will always show just how stupid and immature they are seriously go over to youtube and leave the pages here for REAL fans =D thx for reading =)

15. kmj35 - Apr 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM

you guys are clowns. The only dirty play was the gerbe recieving a stick to the groin. Beside that the games have been exciting and intense. It is PLAYOFF hockey watch other games same stuff goes on. But the refs do not put the puck in the net or in case for philly not put it in the net. Buffalo is clearly the better team of the two and Philly fans just need to recognize that without pronger and Carter they are not the same team. If they had been in the whole series things could be different but they are not and Buffalo ends things tonight!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches