Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 PM EST
When it comes to the on-ice play, the first three games of the New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series has been almost all substance over style.
It’s probably not too surprising, then, that the teams’ two boisterous head coaches are the ones providing some of the “sizzle” amid the many servings of steak. The spotlight-stealing moments began when John Tortorella squabbled with New York Post writer Larry Brooks. After that, Bruce Boudreau made Game 4 that much more interesting by critiquing Madison Square Garden and its fans by saying its locker rooms are “horrible” and the crowds are louder at Washington’s Verizon Center. Boudreau also complained that the Rangers were targeting Mike Green’s head, but Tortorella simply asked the Capitals to stop “whining” in response.
These two colorful coaches are providing enough sideline distractions that you almost forget how big Game 4 can be. If the Rangers win, they would tie the series 2-2 and become an even bigger threat. If the Capitals win, they’ll go up 3-1 and stare at the possibility of a quick first round. (Even if their last 3-1 series lead didn’t work out so well against the 2010 Montreal Canadiens.)
In this web exclusive video, Keith Jones and “Iron” Mike Keenan discuss Game 4 of this series.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)