Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
When it comes to the on-ice play, the first three games of the New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series has been almost all substance over style.
It’s probably not too surprising, then, that the teams’ two boisterous head coaches are the ones providing some of the “sizzle” amid the many servings of steak. The spotlight-stealing moments began when John Tortorella squabbled with New York Post writer Larry Brooks. After that, Bruce Boudreau made Game 4 that much more interesting by critiquing Madison Square Garden and its fans by saying its locker rooms are “horrible” and the crowds are louder at Washington’s Verizon Center. Boudreau also complained that the Rangers were targeting Mike Green’s head, but Tortorella simply asked the Capitals to stop “whining” in response.
These two colorful coaches are providing enough sideline distractions that you almost forget how big Game 4 can be. If the Rangers win, they would tie the series 2-2 and become an even bigger threat. If the Capitals win, they’ll go up 3-1 and stare at the possibility of a quick first round. (Even if their last 3-1 series lead didn’t work out so well against the 2010 Montreal Canadiens.)
In this web exclusive video, Keith Jones and “Iron” Mike Keenan discuss Game 4 of this series.
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 2
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 37
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 36
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 25
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 79
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 112
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1