Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
When it comes to the on-ice play, the first three games of the New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series has been almost all substance over style.
It’s probably not too surprising, then, that the teams’ two boisterous head coaches are the ones providing some of the “sizzle” amid the many servings of steak. The spotlight-stealing moments began when John Tortorella squabbled with New York Post writer Larry Brooks. After that, Bruce Boudreau made Game 4 that much more interesting by critiquing Madison Square Garden and its fans by saying its locker rooms are “horrible” and the crowds are louder at Washington’s Verizon Center. Boudreau also complained that the Rangers were targeting Mike Green’s head, but Tortorella simply asked the Capitals to stop “whining” in response.
These two colorful coaches are providing enough sideline distractions that you almost forget how big Game 4 can be. If the Rangers win, they would tie the series 2-2 and become an even bigger threat. If the Capitals win, they’ll go up 3-1 and stare at the possibility of a quick first round. (Even if their last 3-1 series lead didn’t work out so well against the 2010 Montreal Canadiens.)
In this web exclusive video, Keith Jones and “Iron” Mike Keenan discuss Game 4 of this series.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)