Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT
When it comes to the on-ice play, the first three games of the New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series has been almost all substance over style.
It’s probably not too surprising, then, that the teams’ two boisterous head coaches are the ones providing some of the “sizzle” amid the many servings of steak. The spotlight-stealing moments began when John Tortorella squabbled with New York Post writer Larry Brooks. After that, Bruce Boudreau made Game 4 that much more interesting by critiquing Madison Square Garden and its fans by saying its locker rooms are “horrible” and the crowds are louder at Washington’s Verizon Center. Boudreau also complained that the Rangers were targeting Mike Green’s head, but Tortorella simply asked the Capitals to stop “whining” in response.
These two colorful coaches are providing enough sideline distractions that you almost forget how big Game 4 can be. If the Rangers win, they would tie the series 2-2 and become an even bigger threat. If the Capitals win, they’ll go up 3-1 and stare at the possibility of a quick first round. (Even if their last 3-1 series lead didn’t work out so well against the 2010 Montreal Canadiens.)
In this web exclusive video, Keith Jones and “Iron” Mike Keenan discuss Game 4 of this series.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)