Apr 20, 2011, 12:17 PM EST
When it comes to the on-ice play, the first three games of the New York Rangers-Washington Capitals series has been almost all substance over style.
It’s probably not too surprising, then, that the teams’ two boisterous head coaches are the ones providing some of the “sizzle” amid the many servings of steak. The spotlight-stealing moments began when John Tortorella squabbled with New York Post writer Larry Brooks. After that, Bruce Boudreau made Game 4 that much more interesting by critiquing Madison Square Garden and its fans by saying its locker rooms are “horrible” and the crowds are louder at Washington’s Verizon Center. Boudreau also complained that the Rangers were targeting Mike Green’s head, but Tortorella simply asked the Capitals to stop “whining” in response.
These two colorful coaches are providing enough sideline distractions that you almost forget how big Game 4 can be. If the Rangers win, they would tie the series 2-2 and become an even bigger threat. If the Capitals win, they’ll go up 3-1 and stare at the possibility of a quick first round. (Even if their last 3-1 series lead didn’t work out so well against the 2010 Montreal Canadiens.)
In this web exclusive video, Keith Jones and “Iron” Mike Keenan discuss Game 4 of this series.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)