Apr 20, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
One guy is an imposing figure on the ice with a penchant for slugging it out with some of the league’s biggest fighters. The other is a skilled defenseman who apparently has a knack for fighting Viktor Stalberg when his team is getting blown out in the playoffs.
Before yesterday’s Game 4 between the teams, we heard about Scott being inserted into the lineup to take the spot of Brent Seabrook. Seabrook was missing the game after feeling banged up after taking a wicked and questionable hit from Raffi Torres. Bieksa’s thoughts on Scott being put in the lineup were awfully blunt.
“When a guy 6-8 challenges you that can’t skate? Usually you say no and you go around him and score,” Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa said Sunday morning, when asked about John Scott’s arrival in the Hawks’ lineup. “That’s what usually you do.”
Of course, when you talk big like that it helps to actually back it up. In a 7-2 Chicago win over Vancouver, Bieksa was an immediate goat after Bryan Bickell did to him what Bieksa said forwards do to Scott in scoring the first goal of the game.
After such an embarrassing display, you’d better believe that John Scott took immediate notice of that after the game as Jim Jamieson of The White Towel shared.
“Oh, Bieksa, what a joke. The guy was talking about how I was getting walked wide and then he gets beat wide the first shift of the game. I guess he needs to take skating lessons, not me.”
Jamieson also caught up with Bieksa to see if he had anything further to offer. Consider the table set for Game 5 in a big way.
“I was told when I was a rookie and a guy who wasn’t playing much to not bother the regulars,” said Bieksa. “That’s the advice he should take: Don’t bother the regulars.”
Bieksa might as well have told him to go get his shinebox.
While it’s shaping up that Seabrook may return for Game 5, we’d be liars if we said we weren’t hoping to see Scott out there for one more game just to see if he and Bieksa might get to say hello to each other on the ice instead of off it.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)