Apr 20, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
One guy is an imposing figure on the ice with a penchant for slugging it out with some of the league’s biggest fighters. The other is a skilled defenseman who apparently has a knack for fighting Viktor Stalberg when his team is getting blown out in the playoffs.
Before yesterday’s Game 4 between the teams, we heard about Scott being inserted into the lineup to take the spot of Brent Seabrook. Seabrook was missing the game after feeling banged up after taking a wicked and questionable hit from Raffi Torres. Bieksa’s thoughts on Scott being put in the lineup were awfully blunt.
“When a guy 6-8 challenges you that can’t skate? Usually you say no and you go around him and score,” Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa said Sunday morning, when asked about John Scott’s arrival in the Hawks’ lineup. “That’s what usually you do.”
Of course, when you talk big like that it helps to actually back it up. In a 7-2 Chicago win over Vancouver, Bieksa was an immediate goat after Bryan Bickell did to him what Bieksa said forwards do to Scott in scoring the first goal of the game.
After such an embarrassing display, you’d better believe that John Scott took immediate notice of that after the game as Jim Jamieson of The White Towel shared.
“Oh, Bieksa, what a joke. The guy was talking about how I was getting walked wide and then he gets beat wide the first shift of the game. I guess he needs to take skating lessons, not me.”
Jamieson also caught up with Bieksa to see if he had anything further to offer. Consider the table set for Game 5 in a big way.
“I was told when I was a rookie and a guy who wasn’t playing much to not bother the regulars,” said Bieksa. “That’s the advice he should take: Don’t bother the regulars.”
Bieksa might as well have told him to go get his shinebox.
While it’s shaping up that Seabrook may return for Game 5, we’d be liars if we said we weren’t hoping to see Scott out there for one more game just to see if he and Bieksa might get to say hello to each other on the ice instead of off it.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)