Apr 20, 2011, 9:04 PM EDT
One guy is an imposing figure on the ice with a penchant for slugging it out with some of the league’s biggest fighters. The other is a skilled defenseman who apparently has a knack for fighting Viktor Stalberg when his team is getting blown out in the playoffs.
Before yesterday’s Game 4 between the teams, we heard about Scott being inserted into the lineup to take the spot of Brent Seabrook. Seabrook was missing the game after feeling banged up after taking a wicked and questionable hit from Raffi Torres. Bieksa’s thoughts on Scott being put in the lineup were awfully blunt.
“When a guy 6-8 challenges you that can’t skate? Usually you say no and you go around him and score,” Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa said Sunday morning, when asked about John Scott’s arrival in the Hawks’ lineup. “That’s what usually you do.”
Of course, when you talk big like that it helps to actually back it up. In a 7-2 Chicago win over Vancouver, Bieksa was an immediate goat after Bryan Bickell did to him what Bieksa said forwards do to Scott in scoring the first goal of the game.
After such an embarrassing display, you’d better believe that John Scott took immediate notice of that after the game as Jim Jamieson of The White Towel shared.
“Oh, Bieksa, what a joke. The guy was talking about how I was getting walked wide and then he gets beat wide the first shift of the game. I guess he needs to take skating lessons, not me.”
Jamieson also caught up with Bieksa to see if he had anything further to offer. Consider the table set for Game 5 in a big way.
“I was told when I was a rookie and a guy who wasn’t playing much to not bother the regulars,” said Bieksa. “That’s the advice he should take: Don’t bother the regulars.”
Bieksa might as well have told him to go get his shinebox.
While it’s shaping up that Seabrook may return for Game 5, we’d be liars if we said we weren’t hoping to see Scott out there for one more game just to see if he and Bieksa might get to say hello to each other on the ice instead of off it.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)