Apr 19, 2011, 11:20 PM EDT
In the previous three games, the Vancouver Canucks have been just a little bit better than the Chicago Blackhawks, taking a deceptive 3-0 series lead. It’s a shame for Chicago that the NHL doesn’t go by soccer’s total goals scored round robin rules, because they really pounded on Vancouver in a 7-2 blowout.
Chicago 7, Vancouver 2; Canucks lead series 3-1.
Dave Bolland produced an outstanding return to the Blackhawks lineup, scoring one goal and three assists to show that he can handle the postseason atmosphere despite coming off of a concussion. The game’s turning point was probably the fifth minute of the second period, as Brian Campbell and Duncan Keith scored 17 seconds apart to give Chicago a 3-1 lead.
Bolland and Michael Frolik capped that bombastic second period with goals to make it 5-1, but Canucks coach Alain Vigneault refused to pull Roberto Luongo until Patrick Sharp‘s power-play goal made it 6-1 early in the third period.
Sharp scored another PP one-timer to make it 7-1, while Daniel Sedin made an off-night look a little better with a garbage PP goal late in the game. Luongo won’t be the only Canucks player who wants to put this game behind him, as each of the Sedin twins sported identically bad -3 ratings.
Chicago rookie Bryan Bickell evoked memories of a famous Darren McCarty goal to start things off strong for the ‘Hawks. Check out video footage of his fantastic goal below.
This outcome brings about some interesting questions, but the pivotal ones revolve around Luongo’s psyche. There’s no doubt that the Blackhawks have given him fits* as they booted his team out of the playoffs for two straight years. Chicago scored six of its seven goals on him on 28 shots; will Bobby Lou bounce back or could this be the beginning of a shocking turnaround?
It’s important to avoid an overreaction to this game, though. After all, many pundits wondered if the San Jose Sharks would crumble when the Detroit Red Wings crushed them despite San Jose’s 3-1 lead in 2010, but the Sharks took care of business in Game 5.
We should find out a lot about both teams in Game 5, which will take place in Vancouver. Will the defending champs continue to be a monkey on the Presidents’ Trophy winners’ backs? Can the Canucks show that they have the character to roll with the punches that inevitably come during the playoffs?
This should be a lot of fun, even if it gives Luongo an ulcer.
* David Amber points out that Luongo allowed five or more goals six times in his playoff career. Chicago was responsible for all of them.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EDT
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EDT
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)