Apr 18, 2011, 1:27 AM EDT
If you listen to some segments of the Philadelphia Flyers fan base, there’s a Sergei Bobrovsky vs. Brian Boucher debate that rivals the Team Edward vs. Team Jacob campaigns among “Twilight” fans.
(That being said, I don’t expect someone to make a pro-Boucher argument because he’s “sensitive and protective,” although I guess the latter might apply to the Flyers’ net.)
Tim Panaccio writes that the early indication is that Philadelphia will go with Boucher for Game 3 on Monday night, but honestly, this debate wouldn’t hold the same importance if one player could get healthy. That would be hulking defenseman Chris Pronger, an experienced and intimidating player who frequently turns decent goalies to good ones and makes good ones great.
Pronger traveled with the team to ice-cold Buffalo, but Panaccio reports that he won’t be available for Game 3. Pronger reportedly won’t give another interview until he plays in a game, so expect little more than cursory updates about the game-changing defenseman. He’s doubtful for Game 4 as well, which indicates that we will need to take a wait-and-see approach while the team lists him as day-to-day. If he gives himself an unexpected green light, however, we’ll let you know.
If you ask me, Pronger was the top reason this team managed to succeed while Boucher and Michael Leighton exchanged the starting job (and time on the injured list) in the 2010 playoffs. The Sabres wouldn’t necessarily be a pushover with him in the lineup, but it will be an even greater challenge to best them without Pronger on the ice.
It wouldn’t be surprising if their netminders end up looking quite human in the process, whether the team hands the torch to Boucher, Bobrovsky or even Leighton.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 7
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 48
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional