Apr 18, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
The debate might rage on, but the Philadelphia Flyers came to a decision about their starting goalie tonight. The team will try to ride the hot hand by giving Brian Boucher the start, according to CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio.
If you were hoping that the team would be patient with Sergei Bobrovsky, there aren’t many good signs today. In fact, Panaccio reports that Michael Leighton is the one with the full locker rather than “Bob.”
This indicates that Leighton will back up Boucher, rather than Bobrovsky.
In other words, after allowing three goals in an abbreviated start against the Buffalo Sabres in Game 2 and losing Game 1, Bobrovsky dropped from No. 1 on the Flyers’ depth chart to No. 3. Of course, these situations are fluid, which is evident in Bob’s current predicament.
While I understand the Flyers don’t have a lot of time to waste here, it’s still surprising how quickly they pulled the plug on Bobrovsky. Yes, he’s a young goalie who is unproven in the playoffs and there’s no denying his slow start. Still, he was a revelation for the team this season, guiding them to an Atlantic Division title as he won 28 games and put up solid individual numbers (91.5 save percentage, 2.59 GAA).
If nothing else, Peter Laviolette isn’t being wishy-washy about his netminding situation. These are the kind of moves that open the floodgates for people who like to blame all of Philadelphia’s problems on their goalies, but if the Flyers end up winning this series behind Boucher, they’ll gladly put up with the hecklers.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 4
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 16
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)