Apr 18, 2011, 2:50 PM EDT
When Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau isn’t making fun of Madison Square Garden’s “horrible” locker rooms, he also finds time to critique a hit or two. The bombastic coach isn’t very happy about a hit New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal delivered on Mike Green, a player who was recently sidelined with concussion issues.
Boudreau accused the Rangers of targeting Green’s head frequently in the team’s Game 3 loss, according to Ryan O’Halloran from CSN Washington. Although Boudreau was also upset with Brandon Prust‘s actions in the first period, he pointed to a Staal hit in the middle frame. The outspoken coach said that Staal targeted Green with a blindside hit to the head shortly before Alex Ovechkin scored a goal.
He compared the hit to the much-discussed Raffi Torres check on Brent Seabrook, but the Staal hit didn’t even receive a league hearing, review or phone call, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
Perhaps Boudreau hopes that the league keeps a closer eye regarding the Rangers’ supposed targeting of Green, if nothing else. It seems like his commentary fell on deaf ears, but here are some of the highlights, via CSN Washington.
“It was a dirty shot,” Boudreau said after the Capitals’ optional skate on Monday. “I hope the league looks at. I’m listening to all the experts last night on the [Raffi] Torres [of Vancouver] hit on [Chicago’s Brent] Seabrook, and they’re all saying, ‘There’s no puck. It’s not a hockey play. The guy is in a vulnerable position, and he hits the head.’
“Staal comes in, there’s no puck and he takes his arm and swings at his head. It’s all forgotten because we score a goal to tie the game up. It shouldn’t be forgotten, and it wasn’t the only time they targeted Mike’s head. That’s what we want to get out of the game.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)