Apr 17, 2011, 8:27 PM EDT
Even though this game was much, much bigger for the New York Rangers than the Washington Capitals, both teams played their hearts out. Ultimately, the Rangers’ hard work paid off as they beat the Capitals 3-2 to cut Washington’s series lead to 2-1.
The Rangers can breathe a sigh of relief because a 3-0 deficit would probably be too much for a team that isn’t exactly explosive on offense. Both of their losses were bitterly fought, low-scoring games that could have gone either way (even if the Capitals deserved to win).
Washington shouldn’t be too concerned with the loss, although they must steel themselves to the likely possibility that this isn’t going to be easy. It’s quite likely that they will need to grind through three or four more games to get those needed two W’s. This result makes another first round disappointment a legitimate possibility, too.
Both teams scored big goals, but the Rangers were able to beat a suffocating Capitals defense enough times to earn a huge win. Brandon Dubinsky showed that he’s more than a man with an astonishing mustache, scoring a crucial goal for the Blueshirts. Alex Ovechkin and the Caps offense started to break through a bit, but not as much as Dubinsky & Co.
Want to see all the goals? Check them out in the highlight package below.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic