Apr 17, 2011, 6:06 PM EDT
The second period between New York and Washington ended on a wildly controversial note as Ruslan Fedotenko thought he scored the go-ahead goal past Michal Neuvirth to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead heading into the third period.
With the play happening as time ran out, it had to go to replay and the Toronto war room ruled that the puck did not cross the line before time ran out. Rangers fans were incredulous that that was the case, but as it turns out it’s the truth.
We’ve got NBC’s video from the incident in question now with an overhead view with the clock to prove what went down.
The NHL doing their due diligence to show that there’s no reason to break out the tinfoil hats if you’re a Rangers fan or generally distrust authority that comes from war rooms, the NHL’s Senior Director of Hockey Operations Damian Echevarrieta explains what went down with this play. Have a look at his explanation.
It’s good to see the NHL be transparent about these reviews when fans are at their most rabid and prone to going out of their mind and even more so with games and playoff future hinging upon getting these calls right no matter what.
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 8
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)