Apr 17, 2011, 6:06 PM EDT
The second period between New York and Washington ended on a wildly controversial note as Ruslan Fedotenko thought he scored the go-ahead goal past Michal Neuvirth to give the Rangers a 2-1 lead heading into the third period.
With the play happening as time ran out, it had to go to replay and the Toronto war room ruled that the puck did not cross the line before time ran out. Rangers fans were incredulous that that was the case, but as it turns out it’s the truth.
We’ve got NBC’s video from the incident in question now with an overhead view with the clock to prove what went down.
The NHL doing their due diligence to show that there’s no reason to break out the tinfoil hats if you’re a Rangers fan or generally distrust authority that comes from war rooms, the NHL’s Senior Director of Hockey Operations Damian Echevarrieta explains what went down with this play. Have a look at his explanation.
It’s good to see the NHL be transparent about these reviews when fans are at their most rabid and prone to going out of their mind and even more so with games and playoff future hinging upon getting these calls right no matter what.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)