Apr 17, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
After a first period that saw no scoring, we got a second period with more intrigue than the teams could handle.
Erik Christensen got the Rangers on the board first with a power play goal snipe from an impossible angle at 5:30 of the period that beat Michal Neuvirth. The Rangers got their fair share of chances on the power play going 1-4 in the period with the man advantage.
The Rangers appeared to be set to head into the second period with a 1-0 lead when with a minute left in the second period, Alex Ovechkin tipped home a Jason Arnott feed that beat Henrik Lundqvist to tie the game at 1-1.
The period wouldn’t end without controversy as the Rangers thought they took a 2-1 lead with less than one second left in the period. The puck trickled into the net as time ran out leading to debate as to whether or not the puck crossed the line before time ran out in the period. The play went to review in Toronto and the replays they had available showed the puck did not cross the line completely before the clock hit zero.
The fans in New York aren’t pleased at all and the Rangers and coach John Tortorella can’t be pleased, but they’ll need to focus that intensity in the third period to come out of Game 3 with a win.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks