Apr 17, 2011, 5:24 PM EDT
After a first period that saw no scoring, we got a second period with more intrigue than the teams could handle.
Erik Christensen got the Rangers on the board first with a power play goal snipe from an impossible angle at 5:30 of the period that beat Michal Neuvirth. The Rangers got their fair share of chances on the power play going 1-4 in the period with the man advantage.
The Rangers appeared to be set to head into the second period with a 1-0 lead when with a minute left in the second period, Alex Ovechkin tipped home a Jason Arnott feed that beat Henrik Lundqvist to tie the game at 1-1.
The period wouldn’t end without controversy as the Rangers thought they took a 2-1 lead with less than one second left in the period. The puck trickled into the net as time ran out leading to debate as to whether or not the puck crossed the line before time ran out in the period. The play went to review in Toronto and the replays they had available showed the puck did not cross the line completely before the clock hit zero.
The fans in New York aren’t pleased at all and the Rangers and coach John Tortorella can’t be pleased, but they’ll need to focus that intensity in the third period to come out of Game 3 with a win.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)