Apr 17, 2011, 7:02 PM EST
Most of the time, NHL officials are only noticed if they make a controversial call or if a puck bounces off of them and creates/inhibits a scoring chance. Yet hockey can be a dangerous sport for anyone on the ice, even the guys who wear striped shirts rather than team jerseys.
That point was made clear during the New York Rangers’ tense, grinding win against the Washington Capitals on NBC this afternoon. The second period included a delay after referee Chris Rooney stumbled behind Washington’s net and showed serious signs of anguish on his face.
There’s a good reason why he seemed like he was in such pain; Jeff Marek reports that Rooney is suffering from a broken fibula and won’t officiate another playoff game in 2011.
It’s tough news for Rooney, but is also emphasizes the fact that the officials are in the line of fire too. A lot of times these guys get a puck in the face and keep working anyway, showing that they belong on the ice with some of the toughest athletes in sports. There were even a few officials who wouldn’t wear helmets until they were forced to do so (although some would argue they resisted such urges because they wanted to show off stylish hair cuts).
Anyway, it’s a tough break for Rooney, but refs can get injured too.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 7
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)