Apr 17, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
Most of the time, NHL officials are only noticed if they make a controversial call or if a puck bounces off of them and creates/inhibits a scoring chance. Yet hockey can be a dangerous sport for anyone on the ice, even the guys who wear striped shirts rather than team jerseys.
That point was made clear during the New York Rangers’ tense, grinding win against the Washington Capitals on NBC this afternoon. The second period included a delay after referee Chris Rooney stumbled behind Washington’s net and showed serious signs of anguish on his face.
There’s a good reason why he seemed like he was in such pain; Jeff Marek reports that Rooney is suffering from a broken fibula and won’t officiate another playoff game in 2011.
It’s tough news for Rooney, but is also emphasizes the fact that the officials are in the line of fire too. A lot of times these guys get a puck in the face and keep working anyway, showing that they belong on the ice with some of the toughest athletes in sports. There were even a few officials who wouldn’t wear helmets until they were forced to do so (although some would argue they resisted such urges because they wanted to show off stylish hair cuts).
Anyway, it’s a tough break for Rooney, but refs can get injured too.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 8
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 31
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Blue Jays-Yankees finale scrubbed by rain