Apr 17, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
The Rangers got the energy they were looking for from the fans and John Tortorella saw some of the spark out of his team off the bat that he was hoping for, but the one thing they didn’t get were goals.
Even in spite of 1:26 of five-on-three power play time to close out the first period, the Rangers weren’t able to put home a goal. Now they’ll head into the second period looking to kill off a penalty of their own. Michal Neuvirth made eight saves while Henrik Lundqvist made seven for the Rangers.
The action is intense and when the Rangers are hitting people, the pace picks up in a big way. The Rangers need that intensity all game long though as the Caps are proving to be quite resilient.
One highlight of the period came after the Rangers were busted for icing. With his team stuck on the ice and tired, Rangers agitator Sean Avery went a bit out of his way to help buy a few more seconds rest for his team. As the Rangers lined up for the faceoff, Avery’s stick broke in half… With a little help from Sean Avery.
Every little edge helps out, doesn’t it? Leave it to Avery to go above and beyond to gain an advantage, even for a little while.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)