Apr 17, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
The Rangers got the energy they were looking for from the fans and John Tortorella saw some of the spark out of his team off the bat that he was hoping for, but the one thing they didn’t get were goals.
Even in spite of 1:26 of five-on-three power play time to close out the first period, the Rangers weren’t able to put home a goal. Now they’ll head into the second period looking to kill off a penalty of their own. Michal Neuvirth made eight saves while Henrik Lundqvist made seven for the Rangers.
The action is intense and when the Rangers are hitting people, the pace picks up in a big way. The Rangers need that intensity all game long though as the Caps are proving to be quite resilient.
One highlight of the period came after the Rangers were busted for icing. With his team stuck on the ice and tired, Rangers agitator Sean Avery went a bit out of his way to help buy a few more seconds rest for his team. As the Rangers lined up for the faceoff, Avery’s stick broke in half… With a little help from Sean Avery.
Every little edge helps out, doesn’t it? Leave it to Avery to go above and beyond to gain an advantage, even for a little while.
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 2
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 16
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 59
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 91
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (90)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games