Apr 17, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Some teams are rocking the playoff beards but Rangers forward Brandon Dubinsky is rolling with the playoff mustache. While it might be offensive to your eyes, it’s working out just great for him as Dubinsky potted the game-winning goal with 1:39 to play in the third to give the Rangers a 3-2 victory and their first win in the series.
Dubinsky’s goal was a huge lift for the team after the Caps managed to keep finding ways to tie the game up. New York had taken a 2-1 lead earlier in the third period thanks to a goal from Vinny Prospal at 8:01 of the third. The Rangers lead would only last for a few minutes as a Marian Gaborik penalty turned into a Mike Knuble power play goal at 14:48 of the third to tie things up at 2-2.
For New York, they’ve got life finally after getting a win and getting the series to 2-1. Things were looking low for the Rangers after their lackluster performance in Game 2 getting shutout by Michal Neuvirth (32 saves today). Now they’ve got a little momentum going and their band mustachioed players can use that going ahead into Game 4 on Wednesday.
New York was able to overcome their bad power play (1-7) and a disallowed goal at the end of the second period as well as a persistent Caps team to get the win. All that and a little bit of luck on Dubinsky’s goal is all it takes sometimes to change the mindset of a team.
For the Capitals, they need to clean things up. While Bruce Boudreau complained during a mid-game interview about how some of the calls being made against his team were “ticky tack calls” penalties hurt the Caps. While they allowed just one power play goal, playing shorthanded for stretches like that hurts as well because it keeps them from attacking.
For Game 4, expect the same sort of play from New York with aggressive attacking and lots of shot blocking while the Capitals look to avoid the watchful eye of the officials and stay out of the box to work on an attack of their own and put a bit more pressure on Henrik Lundqvist (23 saves). With as many dangerous players as the Caps have, they’re not doing a lot to make Lundqvist uncomfortable in goal.
Here’s Brandon Dubinsky and his glorious mustache talking with Darren Pang after the game about his game-winner.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 36
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63