Apr 16, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT
As it turns out, Chara is a late scratch for tonight’s Game 2 against Montreal. Taking Chara’s spot in the lineup will be Shane Hnidy. The Bruins will need big play out of Johnny Boychuk, Andrew Ference, Dennis Seidenberg, and Tomas Kaberle to make up for Chara’s absence in the lineup.
While Hnidy will bring the physical game, all six defensemen will need to be especially sharp defensively as Chara’s presence on the ice is virtually impossible to replace. No other player on the team is as big or as intimidating as Chara. Expect Seidenberg to pick up the slack defensively in minutes played as he’s primarily a shot blocker and all-around solid defender.
If Chara’s absence leads to another loss and the Bruins heading to Montreal in a 2-0 hole, the desperation in Beantown will reach a hysterical level.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)