Apr 16, 2011, 7:07 PM EDT
As it turns out, Chara is a late scratch for tonight’s Game 2 against Montreal. Taking Chara’s spot in the lineup will be Shane Hnidy. The Bruins will need big play out of Johnny Boychuk, Andrew Ference, Dennis Seidenberg, and Tomas Kaberle to make up for Chara’s absence in the lineup.
While Hnidy will bring the physical game, all six defensemen will need to be especially sharp defensively as Chara’s presence on the ice is virtually impossible to replace. No other player on the team is as big or as intimidating as Chara. Expect Seidenberg to pick up the slack defensively in minutes played as he’s primarily a shot blocker and all-around solid defender.
If Chara’s absence leads to another loss and the Bruins heading to Montreal in a 2-0 hole, the desperation in Beantown will reach a hysterical level.
- Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 66
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)