Apr 16, 2011, 7:07 PM EST
As it turns out, Chara is a late scratch for tonight’s Game 2 against Montreal. Taking Chara’s spot in the lineup will be Shane Hnidy. The Bruins will need big play out of Johnny Boychuk, Andrew Ference, Dennis Seidenberg, and Tomas Kaberle to make up for Chara’s absence in the lineup.
While Hnidy will bring the physical game, all six defensemen will need to be especially sharp defensively as Chara’s presence on the ice is virtually impossible to replace. No other player on the team is as big or as intimidating as Chara. Expect Seidenberg to pick up the slack defensively in minutes played as he’s primarily a shot blocker and all-around solid defender.
If Chara’s absence leads to another loss and the Bruins heading to Montreal in a 2-0 hole, the desperation in Beantown will reach a hysterical level.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 79
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)