Apr 16, 2011, 7:07 PM EST
As it turns out, Chara is a late scratch for tonight’s Game 2 against Montreal. Taking Chara’s spot in the lineup will be Shane Hnidy. The Bruins will need big play out of Johnny Boychuk, Andrew Ference, Dennis Seidenberg, and Tomas Kaberle to make up for Chara’s absence in the lineup.
While Hnidy will bring the physical game, all six defensemen will need to be especially sharp defensively as Chara’s presence on the ice is virtually impossible to replace. No other player on the team is as big or as intimidating as Chara. Expect Seidenberg to pick up the slack defensively in minutes played as he’s primarily a shot blocker and all-around solid defender.
If Chara’s absence leads to another loss and the Bruins heading to Montreal in a 2-0 hole, the desperation in Beantown will reach a hysterical level.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 0
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15