Apr 16, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk is a dangling magician, that much we already knew.
What we didn’t know is that he could have the time and space necessary to do some of his greatest tricks in the middle of the NHL playoffs.
He was able to do just that this afternoon in the first period of the Wings’ game against Phoenix in Game 2 of their first round playoff series. Datsyuk already had a goal and an assist when he broke in on the right wing side. Carrying the puck on his backhand, Datsyuk readjusted and shot the puck from between his own legs on Ilya Bryzgalov. Bryzgalov stayed cool and made the save but Darren Helm crashed the net and scored to give Detroit a 3-0 lead.
Words don’t do it justice so you’ll just have to watch the video.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)