Apr 16, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk is a dangling magician, that much we already knew.
What we didn’t know is that he could have the time and space necessary to do some of his greatest tricks in the middle of the NHL playoffs.
He was able to do just that this afternoon in the first period of the Wings’ game against Phoenix in Game 2 of their first round playoff series. Datsyuk already had a goal and an assist when he broke in on the right wing side. Carrying the puck on his backhand, Datsyuk readjusted and shot the puck from between his own legs on Ilya Bryzgalov. Bryzgalov stayed cool and made the save but Darren Helm crashed the net and scored to give Detroit a 3-0 lead.
Words don’t do it justice so you’ll just have to watch the video.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)