Apr 16, 2011, 4:21 PM EST
At one point, it looked the Detroit Red Wings would earn a 2-0 series lead via an absolute throttling. The Red Wings built their lead to 4-0 early in the second period, but the Phoenix Coyotes rode some golden power-play opportunities to three unanswered goals.
It wouldn’t be enough to bring the game to a tie, but Ilya Bryzgalov and the Coyotes might have a little more confidence as the series switches to Phoenix.
Detroit 4, Phoenix 3; Red Wings lead series 2-0.
The biggest story of the game was Pavel Datsyuk‘s outstanding play, as the world-class center scored a goal and provided three assists. The Russian forward seemed like he was virtually everywhere on the ice, creating chances and causing havoc down to the buzzer.
While Datsyuk contributed to all four Red Wings goals, Shane Doan factored into each Coyotes tally, scoring two goals and one assist. Actually, three Phoenix players factored into the three goals, as Radim Vrbata scored twice and added an assist while Keith Yandle had three helpers.
All three of those Phoenix goals came on man advantages, a point that will surely be the topic of discussion at the Red Wings’ next charter conspiracy theory club meeting. Detroit fans might gripe the most at Doan’s first goal, which came in the waning moments of a 5-on-3 power play that looked pretty listless up to that point.
Doan was a big factor even when he wasn’t scoring, as he delivered the hit that sent Johan Franzen to get 20-plus stitches. Don’t expect that hit to go through the review process, though. On the bright side, Franzen seems fine, even if he might not look the part.
It looked like Ilya Bryzgalov might get the hook after Detroit made it 4-0, but Dave Tippett stuck with him nonetheless. That gamble could pay off because the Russian netminder played lights-out after that, making some big saves when things were especially grave to give Phoenix a reason to believe they could come back.
Will that be enough of a boost to help the Coyotes turn things around now that Games 3 and 4 are at home? We’ll have to wait and see, but they certainly feel better about their chances now than they did about 90 minutes ago.
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)