Apr 16, 2011, 2:22 PM EST
Much like Game 1, the Detroit Red Wings’ star players are overwhelming Ilya Bryzgalov and the Phoenix Coyotes. It shouldn’t be surprising, but after an impressive first contest, Pavel Datsyuk already has three points and a game’s worth of highlight reel moments in one period of play.
Detroit 3, Phoenix 0 after first period; Red Wings lead series 1-0
The Red Wings are taking advantage of mistakes by the Coyotes, as the Detroit power play scored the team’s first two goals. Datsyuk made a heads-up move to change his position at the point to find the net for the first goal. Tomas Holmstrom distracted Bryzgalov with his unmatched goalie screening skills, allowing Brian Rafalski to make it 2-0.
The biggest treat was the work of Dastyuk on what might be a backbreaking late first period goal, though. Datsyuk made a self-pass to get by Keith Yandle then made an astounding stickhandling move to take a shot that created a great rebound that Darren Helm slammed into the Coyotes net.
With the score 3-0, one must wonder if Dave Tippett will decide to bench befuddled goalie Bryzgalov, even if it’s clear that he isn’t the only problem. Perhaps such a move would shock the Coyotes back to attention and protect their star goalie’s pysche at the same time?
While the Red Wings are scoring at a high rate, they must keep an eye on Johan Franzen‘s status. Mike Babcock indicated that he was off the ice after a Shane Doan hit because of the league’s mandated concussion screening process, while Joe hypothesized that he might have a broken nose. Franzen’s face has been a veritable pain magnet in the last week or so, as he was bloodied by a Chicago Blackhawks high-stick on Sunday and took two blows to the face in two playoff games so far.
It’s clear (to us, anyway) that Doan’s hit on Franzen wasn’t a dirty one since Franzen was already off balance, but if you want to take a look at it, here’s the footage. Franzen’s return is questionable, but we’ll keep you up to date on his status as soon as more details emerge.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)