Apr 16, 2011, 10:30 PM EST
There’s trouble in Boston.
The Bruins put together another lackluster effort and were outworked and outplayed by the Montreal Canadiens again in Game 2 leading to a 3-1 win for Montreal. With the win, the Habs take a 2-0 lead in the series as it now shifts back to Montreal for Games 3 and 4.
Without Zdeno Chara in the lineup due to dehydration, the omens for a bad game mounted immediately for Boston. The way the game started didn’t help matters either as Montreal scored just 43 seconds into the game as Mike Cammalleri picked up a rebound and beat Tim Thomas (23 saves). Just over a minute and a half later, Mathieu Darche made it 2-0 scoring on the power play. The Habs wouldn’t look back from there as Carey Price made 34 saves allowing just a second period goal to Patrice Bergeron to beat him. Yannick Weber scored late in the second to provide the deciding marker as they would swallow up the Bruins offense the rest of the way.
For Boston, they’re going through the same problems they faced in the three losses they had against Montreal during the regular season. Those problems are also the same ones Montreal gave to Washington and Pittsburgh in last year’s playoffs. This time around, Montreal is adding a new and infuriating element to their game: Shot blocks. The Habs blocked 27 shots tonight to help keep the Bruins offense away from Carey Price. When they did get shots on Price, he was doing things like this to rob the Bruins of goals.
The Canadiens defensive structure and adherence to the game plan are clearly frustrating the Bruins and they seem to be at a loss for answers on how to solve it. With a team that occasionally struggles scoring goals in the first place, having a team that goes all out to defend face off against them can create major problems like this.
The part that’s concerning is that the Bruins haven’t found a way to respond in kind. Sitting back and taking what Montreal gives them isn’t going to win the Bruins any games and is leading the cries around Boston to have coach Claude Julien to have his job security questioned in a big way. If the Bruins don’t have any answers on Monday night in Game 3, they’re going to find their season on the brink of ending in a very loud thud very soon.
Versus analysts Keith Jones and Jeremy Roenick broke down Montreal’s great performance and Boston’s night of failure.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (43)