Apr 16, 2011, 10:30 PM EST
There’s trouble in Boston.
The Bruins put together another lackluster effort and were outworked and outplayed by the Montreal Canadiens again in Game 2 leading to a 3-1 win for Montreal. With the win, the Habs take a 2-0 lead in the series as it now shifts back to Montreal for Games 3 and 4.
Without Zdeno Chara in the lineup due to dehydration, the omens for a bad game mounted immediately for Boston. The way the game started didn’t help matters either as Montreal scored just 43 seconds into the game as Mike Cammalleri picked up a rebound and beat Tim Thomas (23 saves). Just over a minute and a half later, Mathieu Darche made it 2-0 scoring on the power play. The Habs wouldn’t look back from there as Carey Price made 34 saves allowing just a second period goal to Patrice Bergeron to beat him. Yannick Weber scored late in the second to provide the deciding marker as they would swallow up the Bruins offense the rest of the way.
For Boston, they’re going through the same problems they faced in the three losses they had against Montreal during the regular season. Those problems are also the same ones Montreal gave to Washington and Pittsburgh in last year’s playoffs. This time around, Montreal is adding a new and infuriating element to their game: Shot blocks. The Habs blocked 27 shots tonight to help keep the Bruins offense away from Carey Price. When they did get shots on Price, he was doing things like this to rob the Bruins of goals.
The Canadiens defensive structure and adherence to the game plan are clearly frustrating the Bruins and they seem to be at a loss for answers on how to solve it. With a team that occasionally struggles scoring goals in the first place, having a team that goes all out to defend face off against them can create major problems like this.
The part that’s concerning is that the Bruins haven’t found a way to respond in kind. Sitting back and taking what Montreal gives them isn’t going to win the Bruins any games and is leading the cries around Boston to have coach Claude Julien to have his job security questioned in a big way. If the Bruins don’t have any answers on Monday night in Game 3, they’re going to find their season on the brink of ending in a very loud thud very soon.
Versus analysts Keith Jones and Jeremy Roenick broke down Montreal’s great performance and Boston’s night of failure.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:42 PM EST
Carl Soderberg – Loui Eriksson – Milan Lucic combined for a pretty one.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:33 PM EST
Maybe making room for Dany Heatley?
Nov 24, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
Nov 24, 2014, 7:34 PM EST
It could be challenging if the cap ceiling doesn’t rise much.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:07 PM EST
Calvin de Haan and Thomas Hickey are out, Matt Donovan’s in.
Nov 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
He’ll pester the Pittsburgh Penguins on NBCSN tonight.
Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
A rematch of the 2013 Eastern Conference Final.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Also, Brad Marchand’s off IR.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:11 PM EST
Another veteran d-man gets a look.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:41 PM EST
Combined cap hit? $1.76 million.
Combined points? 34.
Nov 24, 2014, 3:37 PM EST
Tonight on NBCSN.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:56 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 24, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
Yes, that picture is a hint.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:43 PM EST
Habs sit atop the NHL standings, yet face a bunch of questions.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Injured during Saturday’s win over Detroit.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Dustin Schwartz will replace Frederic Chabot.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EST
There’s a headline I never expected to type.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:09 PM EST
Just his second NHL game of the season.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Click for video of said “mistake.”
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)