Apr 16, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Most people (myself included) billed the Nashville Predators-Anaheim Ducks series as a clash between Barry Trotz’s defensive system and the Ducks’ star forwards. The teams didn’t really follow that script at first as the Predators dominated almost every facet of Game 1, but Anaheim’s big guns made the difference in Game 2.
Anaheim 5, Nashville 3; Series tied at 1-1.
The Predators really shot themselves in the foot in the first period, giving the Ducks a 5-on-3 after Martin Erat and Shane O’Brien were whistled for successive slashing penalties. Anaheim’s skill players made them pay, as Corey Perry and Teemu Selanne scored in that time to give the Ducks a 2-0 lead.
There was a feeling that the game might have gotten out of hand thanks to that 40 second span early in the game, but Shea Weber showed his value with a power-play goal of his own to make it 2-1. The Ducks’ premier power forwards came through again after that, though, as Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf gave Anaheim a 4-1 lead going into the second intermission.
Both teams should have mixed feelings after this game. The Ducks must feel relieved that they won, but also must regret that they dropped Game 1 since it was at home. Winning the first game gives the Predators “home ice advantage” in the series, but they must also worry that Anaheim’s elites regained the scary swagger that promoted a startling run to the West’s fourth seed.
This series doesn’t involve two marquee teams, but it’s an interesting battle of strengths that is tough to gauge. We’ll keep you up to date as it goes along.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 10
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 34
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20