Apr 15, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Sports are often a safe haven from the ugly realities of life, but bigger issues tend to bleed into the proceedings from time to time.
Such seems to be true when it comes to the increasingly messy divorce proceedings between former NHL player Vincent Damphousse and his estranged wife Alanna Henderson. Henderson was the first to air the couple’s dirty laundry on Thursday, accusing Damphousse of six incidents of domestic abuse from 2008-2011.
Damphousse responded to those charges today, as you can see in this story from The Toronto Sun. The former player said that Henderson “trumped up” those charges. In fact, Damphousse’s lawyer said that he was the victim of abuse, rather than the perpetrator.
Damphousse’s lawyer, Michel Dorval, said in a statement the former Canadiens captain is the victim, not the perpetrator.
“Mr. Damphousse has also filed a complaint against his wife for assault,” Dorval said. “Mr. Damphousse categorically denies the allegations brought against him. (The charges) were filed as part of a divorce proceeding.”
The Crown says it’s reviewing the complaint against Henderson and will decide next week whether she will be charged.
We won’t pass judgment on either party, but obviously it is a regrettable situation. It’s made a bit sadder since the couple were known for their charitable work toward finding ways to treat the disease ALS (aka Lou Gehrig’s disease), according to The Toronto Sun.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 30
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 18
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 82
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (82)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)