Apr 15, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
Sports are often a safe haven from the ugly realities of life, but bigger issues tend to bleed into the proceedings from time to time.
Such seems to be true when it comes to the increasingly messy divorce proceedings between former NHL player Vincent Damphousse and his estranged wife Alanna Henderson. Henderson was the first to air the couple’s dirty laundry on Thursday, accusing Damphousse of six incidents of domestic abuse from 2008-2011.
Damphousse responded to those charges today, as you can see in this story from The Toronto Sun. The former player said that Henderson “trumped up” those charges. In fact, Damphousse’s lawyer said that he was the victim of abuse, rather than the perpetrator.
Damphousse’s lawyer, Michel Dorval, said in a statement the former Canadiens captain is the victim, not the perpetrator.
“Mr. Damphousse has also filed a complaint against his wife for assault,” Dorval said. “Mr. Damphousse categorically denies the allegations brought against him. (The charges) were filed as part of a divorce proceeding.”
The Crown says it’s reviewing the complaint against Henderson and will decide next week whether she will be charged.
We won’t pass judgment on either party, but obviously it is a regrettable situation. It’s made a bit sadder since the couple were known for their charitable work toward finding ways to treat the disease ALS (aka Lou Gehrig’s disease), according to The Toronto Sun.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)