Apr 15, 2011, 7:50 PM EST
Sports are often a safe haven from the ugly realities of life, but bigger issues tend to bleed into the proceedings from time to time.
Such seems to be true when it comes to the increasingly messy divorce proceedings between former NHL player Vincent Damphousse and his estranged wife Alanna Henderson. Henderson was the first to air the couple’s dirty laundry on Thursday, accusing Damphousse of six incidents of domestic abuse from 2008-2011.
Damphousse responded to those charges today, as you can see in this story from The Toronto Sun. The former player said that Henderson “trumped up” those charges. In fact, Damphousse’s lawyer said that he was the victim of abuse, rather than the perpetrator.
Damphousse’s lawyer, Michel Dorval, said in a statement the former Canadiens captain is the victim, not the perpetrator.
“Mr. Damphousse has also filed a complaint against his wife for assault,” Dorval said. “Mr. Damphousse categorically denies the allegations brought against him. (The charges) were filed as part of a divorce proceeding.”
The Crown says it’s reviewing the complaint against Henderson and will decide next week whether she will be charged.
We won’t pass judgment on either party, but obviously it is a regrettable situation. It’s made a bit sadder since the couple were known for their charitable work toward finding ways to treat the disease ALS (aka Lou Gehrig’s disease), according to The Toronto Sun.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)