Apr 15, 2011, 7:50 PM EDT
Sports are often a safe haven from the ugly realities of life, but bigger issues tend to bleed into the proceedings from time to time.
Such seems to be true when it comes to the increasingly messy divorce proceedings between former NHL player Vincent Damphousse and his estranged wife Alanna Henderson. Henderson was the first to air the couple’s dirty laundry on Thursday, accusing Damphousse of six incidents of domestic abuse from 2008-2011.
Damphousse responded to those charges today, as you can see in this story from The Toronto Sun. The former player said that Henderson “trumped up” those charges. In fact, Damphousse’s lawyer said that he was the victim of abuse, rather than the perpetrator.
Damphousse’s lawyer, Michel Dorval, said in a statement the former Canadiens captain is the victim, not the perpetrator.
“Mr. Damphousse has also filed a complaint against his wife for assault,” Dorval said. “Mr. Damphousse categorically denies the allegations brought against him. (The charges) were filed as part of a divorce proceeding.”
The Crown says it’s reviewing the complaint against Henderson and will decide next week whether she will be charged.
We won’t pass judgment on either party, but obviously it is a regrettable situation. It’s made a bit sadder since the couple were known for their charitable work toward finding ways to treat the disease ALS (aka Lou Gehrig’s disease), according to The Toronto Sun.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 0
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)