Apr 15, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
While the Flyers and Red Wings won’t play their respective Game 2’s until Saturday, each team gave updates on a pair of important players to their Stanley Cup hopes.
Pronger is still rehabbing his broken hand and while he’s skating with the team and doing drills, but it hasn’t been healthy enough to get him into the lineup. The Flyers did well last night against Buffalo, but one missed coverage mistake by injury replacement Danny Syvret led to Patrick Kaleta‘s goal, the only one of the game.
It’s clear that Pronger’s presence would give the Flyers a huge lift defensively and help snap them back to order all around. After all, would you get caught screwing up while he’s on the bench and on the ice to bark at you? Not a chance.
As for Detroit, they’ll be without Henrik Zetterberg in Game 2 against Phoenix on Saturday at 1 p.m. on NBC. The Wings did just fine without Zetterberg in Game 1 beating the Coyotes 4-2. Getting him back in the lineup will be necessary to the team’s Stanley Cup hopes and while they were able to stay strong in Game 1, don’t expect the Coyotes to wither against the Wings.
On the upside for the Wings, Zetterberg will travel with the team to Phoenix for Games 3 and 4. While that doesn’t guarantee he’ll even play then, it means he’ll continue working out with the team and skating as he tries to get back from a knee injury.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)