Apr 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EST
One of the biggest questions going into Game 1 of the Buffalo Sabres-Philadelphia Flyers series is: how will Sergei Bobrovsky play as a rookie with considerable pressure? That question seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to the traditional Flyers’ goalie questions, but it gained validity this morning.
While onlookers blamed lethargy or a too-big cushion in the Eastern Conference when explaining Philadelphia’s late season struggles, the biggest problem was not enough Pronger. He has been an absolute game breaker in recent playoff years, turning average goalies to good ones and good goalies to great ones. From Dwayne Roloson in Edmonton, Jean-Sebastien Giguere in Anaheim and the Brian Boucher/Michael Leighton duo in Philly in 2010, there have been quite a few netminders who benefited greatly from the big, mean defenseman’s presence.
Unfortunately, Bob will have to wait for such a luxury.
We’ll let you know if Pronger is expected to miss any more time. Anyone who picked Buffalo over Philadelphia must feel pretty good about their choice right now.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)