Apr 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
One of the biggest questions going into Game 1 of the Buffalo Sabres-Philadelphia Flyers series is: how will Sergei Bobrovsky play as a rookie with considerable pressure? That question seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to the traditional Flyers’ goalie questions, but it gained validity this morning.
While onlookers blamed lethargy or a too-big cushion in the Eastern Conference when explaining Philadelphia’s late season struggles, the biggest problem was not enough Pronger. He has been an absolute game breaker in recent playoff years, turning average goalies to good ones and good goalies to great ones. From Dwayne Roloson in Edmonton, Jean-Sebastien Giguere in Anaheim and the Brian Boucher/Michael Leighton duo in Philly in 2010, there have been quite a few netminders who benefited greatly from the big, mean defenseman’s presence.
Unfortunately, Bob will have to wait for such a luxury.
We’ll let you know if Pronger is expected to miss any more time. Anyone who picked Buffalo over Philadelphia must feel pretty good about their choice right now.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 7
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 11
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)