Apr 14, 2011, 10:55 AM EST
One of the biggest questions going into Game 1 of the Buffalo Sabres-Philadelphia Flyers series is: how will Sergei Bobrovsky play as a rookie with considerable pressure? That question seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to the traditional Flyers’ goalie questions, but it gained validity this morning.
While onlookers blamed lethargy or a too-big cushion in the Eastern Conference when explaining Philadelphia’s late season struggles, the biggest problem was not enough Pronger. He has been an absolute game breaker in recent playoff years, turning average goalies to good ones and good goalies to great ones. From Dwayne Roloson in Edmonton, Jean-Sebastien Giguere in Anaheim and the Brian Boucher/Michael Leighton duo in Philly in 2010, there have been quite a few netminders who benefited greatly from the big, mean defenseman’s presence.
Unfortunately, Bob will have to wait for such a luxury.
We’ll let you know if Pronger is expected to miss any more time. Anyone who picked Buffalo over Philadelphia must feel pretty good about their choice right now.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)