Apr 14, 2011, 1:38 AM EST
The Nashville Predators gave up a pretty nice package to acquire two-way center Mike Fisher from the Ottawa Senators, but they’ll be glad they did it if Mr. Carrie Underwood keeps belting out great tunes. Fisher scored two goals and one assist while Pekka Rinne stopped 27 out of 28 shots to power the Predators to a dominant Game 1 road win against the Anaheim Ducks.
Nashville 4, Anaheim 1; Predators lead 1-0
As red-hot as the Ducks came into the playoffs, the Predators seem like an especially tough matchup for Anaheim. Nashville has strong goaltending, a stingy defense and a nice group of low-profile, versatile forwards.
Even if this win was somewhat predictable, the actual one-sided nature of the outcome was a bit startling.
Shea Weber began the scoring, Steve Sullivan made it 2-0 and then Fisher took over with two more goals. Teemu Selanne did what he does best by scoring on the power play midway through the third period, but by then it was just about preserving some dignity.
Dan Ellis had a rough game against his former team, getting pulled early in the third period after allowing four goals on only 24 shots. Ray Emery actually filled in for Ellis, stopping all six shots in relief. Is this a sign Emery could step in full-time if needed?
Rinne didn’t get a shutout like Marc-Andre Fleury or Roberto Luongo tonight, but he was still impressive against the Ducks. It was a relatively “easy” win for Nashville, but chances are good that they haven’t seen the best of Anaheim just yet.
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 8
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 3
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)