Apr 14, 2011, 12:58 PM EST
Usually, a high-sticking penalty that draws blood yields a double-minor. That wasn’t the case last night, as referees missed a Zbynek Michalek high-stick on Martin St. Louis, even though the missed infraction cost him two teeth.
Cameras caught St. Louis fuming on the Tampa Bay Lightning bench after the missed call. It was with good reason, too. Not only did the Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman go without a penalty – which would have been huge, especially since the Bolts only received one power play all game long – but St. Louis was forced to endure a painful dental surgery after the game.
Erik Erlendsson reports that the wayward stick fractured two of his teeth, forcing St. Louis to get a double root canal. There isn’t much of a chance for officials to deliver a “makeup call” in this situation, unless they allow a Lightning player to reenact a squirm-inducing interrogation scene from the movie “Old Boy.” (Note: that previous link isn’t for the faint of heart.)
Of course, St. Louis is expected to play in Friday’s Game 2 match, because he’s a hockey player. It goes back to the motto “hockey players are tough,” although somehow this is even more impressive than usual. There’s something about fighting through dental injuries that’s on a higher level of toughness, so kudos to St. Louis … a guy who deserves far more Hart Trophy attention than he’s getting, by the way.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)