Apr 14, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
Usually, a high-sticking penalty that draws blood yields a double-minor. That wasn’t the case last night, as referees missed a Zbynek Michalek high-stick on Martin St. Louis, even though the missed infraction cost him two teeth.
Cameras caught St. Louis fuming on the Tampa Bay Lightning bench after the missed call. It was with good reason, too. Not only did the Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman go without a penalty – which would have been huge, especially since the Bolts only received one power play all game long – but St. Louis was forced to endure a painful dental surgery after the game.
Erik Erlendsson reports that the wayward stick fractured two of his teeth, forcing St. Louis to get a double root canal. There isn’t much of a chance for officials to deliver a “makeup call” in this situation, unless they allow a Lightning player to reenact a squirm-inducing interrogation scene from the movie “Old Boy.” (Note: that previous link isn’t for the faint of heart.)
Of course, St. Louis is expected to play in Friday’s Game 2 match, because he’s a hockey player. It goes back to the motto “hockey players are tough,” although somehow this is even more impressive than usual. There’s something about fighting through dental injuries that’s on a higher level of toughness, so kudos to St. Louis … a guy who deserves far more Hart Trophy attention than he’s getting, by the way.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 15
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (61)