Apr 13, 2011, 10:51 PM EST
In case you’re not tuning into Versus as of this writing (may we ask why?), the New York Rangers and Washington Capitals are currently locked up at 1-1 in the first overtime period.
After the Rangers took a 1-0 lead, Alex Ovechkin appeared to notch the tying goal by never giving up on a third period play. Yet it wasn’t a foregone conclusion that the tally would count, as the on-ice officials seemed reluctant to make the call.
As you can see from the video clip below, it’s obvious that the overly criticized Capitals star scored that goal. The puck clearly crossed the red line before any whistle was audible, although it’s important to note that officials might have determined that they “intended” to blow a whistle even if one couldn’t be heard.
(It’s easy to criticize that rule, and no doubt, it’s hard not to sometimes. That being said, what if an official tried to do so in an extremely noisy arena? What if a sweaty hand loosens his grip? The rule kinda sorta makes sense when you think about the hypothetical situations.)
Anyway, here’s video of that not-so controversial goal. Now turn on Versus or get to a bar/restaurant that is showing the games. Please.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)