Apr 13, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
While the Capitals will likely get defenseman Mike Green back into action tonight against the Rangers in Game 1 of their first round series, coach Bruce Boudreau is hoping they’ll have some more help to their blue line back in a few weeks.
Dennis Wideman has been out since March 26 with a hematoma in his leg and today Boudreau said that he’s hoping for Wideman to be back into action in three weeks. With Wideman and Green out, the Caps abilities on the power play was greatly diminished after seeing some success after Wideman came over in a trade with Florida.
With Green coming back tonight, the Caps should see a return to form as Green’s ability to score is better than most in the NHL on the blue line and certainly so in Washington. Getting Wideman into the lineup with Green will be a first should it get to happen. Three weeks time presumes that the Capitals can get by the Rangers and into the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. If the next time the Caps get to see Wideman doesn’t come until next season, it’ll be a massive letdown.
It’ll be interesting to see if they do both get to suit up for the Caps this year as they’ve lacked two capable power play quarterbacks most of the season and often just struggling with just one. Wideman, despite his occasional defensive shortcomings, is a useful and able blue liner on offense.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)