Apr 13, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
While the Capitals will likely get defenseman Mike Green back into action tonight against the Rangers in Game 1 of their first round series, coach Bruce Boudreau is hoping they’ll have some more help to their blue line back in a few weeks.
Dennis Wideman has been out since March 26 with a hematoma in his leg and today Boudreau said that he’s hoping for Wideman to be back into action in three weeks. With Wideman and Green out, the Caps abilities on the power play was greatly diminished after seeing some success after Wideman came over in a trade with Florida.
With Green coming back tonight, the Caps should see a return to form as Green’s ability to score is better than most in the NHL on the blue line and certainly so in Washington. Getting Wideman into the lineup with Green will be a first should it get to happen. Three weeks time presumes that the Capitals can get by the Rangers and into the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. If the next time the Caps get to see Wideman doesn’t come until next season, it’ll be a massive letdown.
It’ll be interesting to see if they do both get to suit up for the Caps this year as they’ve lacked two capable power play quarterbacks most of the season and often just struggling with just one. Wideman, despite his occasional defensive shortcomings, is a useful and able blue liner on offense.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)