Apr 13, 2011, 4:14 PM EST
While the Capitals will likely get defenseman Mike Green back into action tonight against the Rangers in Game 1 of their first round series, coach Bruce Boudreau is hoping they’ll have some more help to their blue line back in a few weeks.
Dennis Wideman has been out since March 26 with a hematoma in his leg and today Boudreau said that he’s hoping for Wideman to be back into action in three weeks. With Wideman and Green out, the Caps abilities on the power play was greatly diminished after seeing some success after Wideman came over in a trade with Florida.
With Green coming back tonight, the Caps should see a return to form as Green’s ability to score is better than most in the NHL on the blue line and certainly so in Washington. Getting Wideman into the lineup with Green will be a first should it get to happen. Three weeks time presumes that the Capitals can get by the Rangers and into the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. If the next time the Caps get to see Wideman doesn’t come until next season, it’ll be a massive letdown.
It’ll be interesting to see if they do both get to suit up for the Caps this year as they’ve lacked two capable power play quarterbacks most of the season and often just struggling with just one. Wideman, despite his occasional defensive shortcomings, is a useful and able blue liner on offense.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)