Apr 13, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
While the Capitals will likely get defenseman Mike Green back into action tonight against the Rangers in Game 1 of their first round series, coach Bruce Boudreau is hoping they’ll have some more help to their blue line back in a few weeks.
Dennis Wideman has been out since March 26 with a hematoma in his leg and today Boudreau said that he’s hoping for Wideman to be back into action in three weeks. With Wideman and Green out, the Caps abilities on the power play was greatly diminished after seeing some success after Wideman came over in a trade with Florida.
With Green coming back tonight, the Caps should see a return to form as Green’s ability to score is better than most in the NHL on the blue line and certainly so in Washington. Getting Wideman into the lineup with Green will be a first should it get to happen. Three weeks time presumes that the Capitals can get by the Rangers and into the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. If the next time the Caps get to see Wideman doesn’t come until next season, it’ll be a massive letdown.
It’ll be interesting to see if they do both get to suit up for the Caps this year as they’ve lacked two capable power play quarterbacks most of the season and often just struggling with just one. Wideman, despite his occasional defensive shortcomings, is a useful and able blue liner on offense.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)