Apr 13, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
While the Capitals will likely get defenseman Mike Green back into action tonight against the Rangers in Game 1 of their first round series, coach Bruce Boudreau is hoping they’ll have some more help to their blue line back in a few weeks.
Dennis Wideman has been out since March 26 with a hematoma in his leg and today Boudreau said that he’s hoping for Wideman to be back into action in three weeks. With Wideman and Green out, the Caps abilities on the power play was greatly diminished after seeing some success after Wideman came over in a trade with Florida.
With Green coming back tonight, the Caps should see a return to form as Green’s ability to score is better than most in the NHL on the blue line and certainly so in Washington. Getting Wideman into the lineup with Green will be a first should it get to happen. Three weeks time presumes that the Capitals can get by the Rangers and into the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. If the next time the Caps get to see Wideman doesn’t come until next season, it’ll be a massive letdown.
It’ll be interesting to see if they do both get to suit up for the Caps this year as they’ve lacked two capable power play quarterbacks most of the season and often just struggling with just one. Wideman, despite his occasional defensive shortcomings, is a useful and able blue liner on offense.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)