Apr 12, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
There’s still time to vote for the best save of last week. Click here to do so.
Every once in a while, we run into poll results that are almost a bit … curious. It’s not that those goals are ever inferior by any means, there are just times when you see one guy run away with the voting and think “Huh, did something happen behind the scenes?”
Perhaps it’s fitting that the final weekly goal award is an example of this. Nathan Gerbe scored a true beauty of a spinning backhand goal, but it’s surprising that the diminutive Buffalo Sabres forward dominated so starkly. Especially with other great choices, such as T.J. Oshie‘s sliding-on-his-knees goal.
Want to see what all the fuss is about? Check out video of his winning goal below.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 0
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 9
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 18
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)