Apr 12, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Every week, Pro Hockey Talk will ask our readers to choose the best goal and save of that seven-day period. Sometimes there might not be seven nominees, whether that be because there weren’t enough great clips or one person received multiple awards. Either way, readers ultimately get to choose each week’s lucky winners.
There’s still time to vote for the best save of last week. Click here to do so.
Every once in a while, we run into poll results that are almost a bit … curious. It’s not that those goals are ever inferior by any means, there are just times when you see one guy run away with the voting and think “Huh, did something happen behind the scenes?”
Perhaps it’s fitting that the final weekly goal award is an example of this. Nathan Gerbe scored a true beauty of a spinning backhand goal, but it’s surprising that the diminutive Buffalo Sabres forward dominated so starkly. Especially with other great choices, such as T.J. Oshie‘s sliding-on-his-knees goal.
Want to see what all the fuss is about? Check out video of his winning goal below.
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 11
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 14
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 17
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 7
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 41
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)