Apr 12, 2011, 1:07 PM EST
The knee-jerk reaction is to say that the Washington Capitals are weak in net, especially since they have two or even three* options for who should be the starting goalie. Yet if you look at the numbers, only four NHL teams allowed less goals than the Capitals’ did during the 2010-11 season.
Michal Neuvirth doesn’t have the win-loss record of oft-injured previous starter Semyon Varlamov nor does he have the outstanding (in a small sample) stats of Braden Holtby, but he’s been a rock for the Capitals all season long. For that reason — and perhaps also taking into account his success in the AHL playoffs — the team named him their Game 1 starter, according to Stephen Whyno and CSN Washington.
It is unclear how strong his hold on the No. 1 job might be, though. Does Neuvirth need to look over his shoulder if he has an off game, or will Bruce Boudreau let him roll with the punches a bit? It’s an interesting situation to watch, and although it’s true that their goalies aren’t established like those of other teams, count me among the people who think that it could actually be a position of strength.
* – Depending on how you feel about Braden Holtby.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 25
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 8
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)