Apr 12, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
The New York Islanders never put together a truly great record since Jack Capuano took over on November 10. Yet anyone who follows the team would probably admit that there was a noticeable increase in their overall feistiness once Capuano went behind the bench.
With that jump in scrappiness in mind, the team announced that they took “interim” out of his job title, making him the flat-out head coach of the Islanders. Considering the fact that this is the time of the year when most non-playoff teams are canning their coaches, it’s nice to see one instance in which someone receives a semi-promotion.
The Isles produced a 26-29-10 record under his guidance, including a 15-12-6 mark since the All-Star Break. Before taking the reins as the Islanders coach, Capuano spend four seasons as the head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. He also spent several seasons as the general manager of an ECHL team named the Pee Dee Pride. Yes, that’s right, the Pee Dee Pride. Minor league hockey has the greatest team names, doesn’t it?
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 7
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 5
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 48
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?