Apr 12, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
The New York Islanders never put together a truly great record since Jack Capuano took over on November 10. Yet anyone who follows the team would probably admit that there was a noticeable increase in their overall feistiness once Capuano went behind the bench.
With that jump in scrappiness in mind, the team announced that they took “interim” out of his job title, making him the flat-out head coach of the Islanders. Considering the fact that this is the time of the year when most non-playoff teams are canning their coaches, it’s nice to see one instance in which someone receives a semi-promotion.
The Isles produced a 26-29-10 record under his guidance, including a 15-12-6 mark since the All-Star Break. Before taking the reins as the Islanders coach, Capuano spend four seasons as the head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. He also spent several seasons as the general manager of an ECHL team named the Pee Dee Pride. Yes, that’s right, the Pee Dee Pride. Minor league hockey has the greatest team names, doesn’t it?
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 12
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)