Apr 12, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
The New York Islanders never put together a truly great record since Jack Capuano took over on November 10. Yet anyone who follows the team would probably admit that there was a noticeable increase in their overall feistiness once Capuano went behind the bench.
With that jump in scrappiness in mind, the team announced that they took “interim” out of his job title, making him the flat-out head coach of the Islanders. Considering the fact that this is the time of the year when most non-playoff teams are canning their coaches, it’s nice to see one instance in which someone receives a semi-promotion.
The Isles produced a 26-29-10 record under his guidance, including a 15-12-6 mark since the All-Star Break. Before taking the reins as the Islanders coach, Capuano spend four seasons as the head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. He also spent several seasons as the general manager of an ECHL team named the Pee Dee Pride. Yes, that’s right, the Pee Dee Pride. Minor league hockey has the greatest team names, doesn’t it?
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 68
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 94
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (94)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)