Apr 12, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
The New York Islanders never put together a truly great record since Jack Capuano took over on November 10. Yet anyone who follows the team would probably admit that there was a noticeable increase in their overall feistiness once Capuano went behind the bench.
With that jump in scrappiness in mind, the team announced that they took “interim” out of his job title, making him the flat-out head coach of the Islanders. Considering the fact that this is the time of the year when most non-playoff teams are canning their coaches, it’s nice to see one instance in which someone receives a semi-promotion.
The Isles produced a 26-29-10 record under his guidance, including a 15-12-6 mark since the All-Star Break. Before taking the reins as the Islanders coach, Capuano spend four seasons as the head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. He also spent several seasons as the general manager of an ECHL team named the Pee Dee Pride. Yes, that’s right, the Pee Dee Pride. Minor league hockey has the greatest team names, doesn’t it?
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 6
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)