Apr 11, 2011, 3:21 PM EDT
While most players are busy growing out the playoff beard for the postseason (unless you’re Patrick Kane, then it’s time for the mullet) Flyers goalie Sergei Bobrovsky is new to the whole NHL playoffs thing. While the rookie goalie had a huge year in leading Philadelphia to the Atlantic Division title and the two seed in the Eastern Conference, finding a new way to show off for the playoffs can be difficult.
For a goalie, changing up the mask can be a sign of trying to change your luck or mixing up your superstitions, but Bobrovsky is going in another direction for inspiration. He’s going with Sideshow Bob. The tormentor of Bart Simpson adorns one side of Bobrovsky’s new lid just in time for the playoffs and as CSN Philly’s Sarah Baicker showed us on Twitter, it’s truly a glorious sight to behold.
Bobrovsky’s new mask also shows off Philadelphia folk hero Rocky Balboa on the other side adorned in the US flag, arms raised like the champion he was (belt or no belt) in
six five movies. (Rocky V never happened, you hear me?!)
Going with Rocky on the helmet is obviously a nod to Philadelphia in itself but we’re just a little disappointed that the Russian netminder didn’t sneak in some love for Ivan Drago in Rocky IV just for fun. After all, this is the guy who had a fighter jet on his mask during the regular season, so why not just go all out with the sweaty, menacing mug of Dolph Lungdren as well?
As it stands, the only thing getting in the way of Bobrovsky now is either Apollo Creed or many carefully placed rakes. We’re thinking he doesn’t have to worry about any of those finding their way on the ice. Fortunately for Bobrovsky, there’s no one named Bartholomew on the Sabres to pester him in the first round of the playoffs.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39