Apr 11, 2011, 5:32 PM EDT
These two teams can’t seem to go a few years without renewing their rivalry in the playoffs. Some classic battles have gone down between these two teams over the last 15 years and this one promises to be more of the same. The Flyers struggled at the end of the season but head into this series with Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, and Buffalo’s most hated figure Daniel Briere ready to turn it on. The Sabres counter with Thomas Vanek carrying the offense along with Jason Pominville and Tyler Myers doing their part to score. While the status of Chris Pronger hangs in the air, drama in this series is oozing about everywhere.
With rookie Sergei Bobrovsky and his sweet new mask going up against American hero Ryan Miller in goal, there certainly will be some intrigue there to see if either goalie can carry them to victory. As for how we’re viewing this series, we’re expecting things to be especially fun if you like dramatic playoff series.
Much like the Capitals-Rangers series, this one smells a little fishy. The Sabres have Ryan Miller in net; the Flyers once again have uncertainty as their co-pilot. Yet the biggest question for me is: will Chris Pronger be healthy enough to play somewhat close to his normal game-altering level? Without Pronger, I would feel my hand shaking over the “Buffalo” button. With Pronger, I still wouldn’t bet against another run to the Stanley Cup finals for Philly. He’s truly that important.
Flyers in 7. If Pronger is too redundant, how about Danny Briere, a man who could break the hearts of fans who once adored him?
This looks like it could be the upset special of the first round. All year the Flyers looked like they were built for a long run and a repeat visit to the Finals—but the last month of the season has been a different story. They’re a different team without Chris Pronger and it’s always difficult for a team to “flip the switch.” On the other side of things, the Sabres have a sparkling 8-1-1 record down the stretch to earn their spot in the playoffs. Ryan Miller looks like he’ll be back—and he even got an injury-induced rest at the end of the regular season. There’s always an upset in the first round when a hot team entering the playoffs faces off against a team that has been complacent for months. This looks like it could be it. Sabres in 6.
Pronger’s presence in this series is huge. If he plays, the Flyers are instantly much more snarly and get a bit more of that swagger back that Bobrovsky could use to his benefit in goal. The Sabres play in the latter half of the season cannot be discounted though and Thomas Vanek’s play has been stellar. For as much of a thorn as he’s been in the Flyers’ side, Briere feeds off of the hate Sabres fans shower him with. It’s tight, but I see this one going seven. Flyers in 7.
With opinions all over the place on this one, we want to know what you think. Do the Flyers win and make another deep playoff run or does Pegula-mania run wild in Buffalo and lead the Sabres to the second round? Vote in our poll and let us know.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)