Apr 11, 2011, 7:13 PM EST
Even beyond the generally nebulous nature of making predictions, this year’s playoffs are even tougher to project thanks to a handful of stars’ murky injury situations. Teams might prepare as if those guys won’t be in the lineup, but it doesn’t take an expert to say that those clubs won’t have the same kind of firepower without them.
In the case of Pronger and the Philadelphia Flyers, I made a leap of faith that the game-changing defenseman will be able to play during the team’s fascinating first round series against the Buffalo Sabres. Without knowing every little detail of his injury, it’s tough to speculate how accurate that assumption might be.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio caught up with the team regarding Pronger’s situation, but if the Flyers already know whether or not he’ll play in Game 1 on Thursday, they aren’t tipping their hand just yet.
Pronger, who is still in rehab from surgery on March 15, did not practice at Skate Zone but did take part in the team’s special teams meetings and did his other off-ice rehab. General manager Paul Holmgren said Pronger’s status remains day to day.
Some players say he’ll be ready to go Thursday in Game 1 against Buffalo while others are saying he won’t appear unless he is fully 100 percent and ready to go.
So the question is, how does coach Peter Laviolette prepare this week? Does he prepare as if he will have Pronger in the lineup? Or as if Pronger won’t be dressing?
If you take for gospel how things went today, then the Flyers are preparing as if Pronger won’t be available for Game 1.
Well, there you have it. He missed practice, but participated in meetings that would keep him informed of the team’s key strategies and information. In other words, his presence in Game 1 remains a toss-up. Naturally, we’ll let you know if the team gives a solid answer about his status as Thursday approaches, but don’t be shocked if he ends up being a dreaded “game-time decision.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)