Apr 11, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT
After once thinking he was ready to play in the Caps final game against Florida but then not flying south to join the team, it appears that Caps defenseman Mike Green will see his first action since late February in Game 1 against New York.
Green will be in the lineup for the Capitals and in a twist, he’ll be playing against the team that knocked him out of action on February 25. Green took a shot to the head from Rangers rookie Derek Stepan and has missed 21 straight games with a concussion. Green has been working hard the last couple of weeks and while there was a false alarm last week about his return, he’ll get to get his legs back right away in the playoffs.
Green’s production from the blue line offensively will be key for the Caps against Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers. Lundqvist’s ability to stop pucks makes him one of the best in the league, and while the Caps offense has lagged this season, getting those points and playmaking ability from Green will be a big help to them. With fellow defensemen Tom Poti and Dennis Wideman still out with injuries, Green getting back to action helps make them stronger as well. Every little bit helps in the postseason and Green’s addition counts for a lot.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 0
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 42
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 22
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 26
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 56
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)