Apr 11, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT
After once thinking he was ready to play in the Caps final game against Florida but then not flying south to join the team, it appears that Caps defenseman Mike Green will see his first action since late February in Game 1 against New York.
Green will be in the lineup for the Capitals and in a twist, he’ll be playing against the team that knocked him out of action on February 25. Green took a shot to the head from Rangers rookie Derek Stepan and has missed 21 straight games with a concussion. Green has been working hard the last couple of weeks and while there was a false alarm last week about his return, he’ll get to get his legs back right away in the playoffs.
Green’s production from the blue line offensively will be key for the Caps against Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers. Lundqvist’s ability to stop pucks makes him one of the best in the league, and while the Caps offense has lagged this season, getting those points and playmaking ability from Green will be a big help to them. With fellow defensemen Tom Poti and Dennis Wideman still out with injuries, Green getting back to action helps make them stronger as well. Every little bit helps in the postseason and Green’s addition counts for a lot.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)