Apr 11, 2011, 4:27 PM EDT
After once thinking he was ready to play in the Caps final game against Florida but then not flying south to join the team, it appears that Caps defenseman Mike Green will see his first action since late February in Game 1 against New York.
Green will be in the lineup for the Capitals and in a twist, he’ll be playing against the team that knocked him out of action on February 25. Green took a shot to the head from Rangers rookie Derek Stepan and has missed 21 straight games with a concussion. Green has been working hard the last couple of weeks and while there was a false alarm last week about his return, he’ll get to get his legs back right away in the playoffs.
Green’s production from the blue line offensively will be key for the Caps against Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers. Lundqvist’s ability to stop pucks makes him one of the best in the league, and while the Caps offense has lagged this season, getting those points and playmaking ability from Green will be a big help to them. With fellow defensemen Tom Poti and Dennis Wideman still out with injuries, Green getting back to action helps make them stronger as well. Every little bit helps in the postseason and Green’s addition counts for a lot.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)